Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

I don't, some of the mushrooms do before they are fried or plunged into the soup, but I have no compassion with these cry babies :001_tt2: .

Glad to hear it:thumbup:

they are tasty though i must admit, one of my favourite pizza when i was staying in rome was with porcini ...... shlurp i am sooo glad my dinner is now on the table :vroam:

Glad to hear it:thumbup:

they are tasty though i must admit, one of my favourite pizza when i was staying in rome was with porcini ...... shlurp i am sooo glad my dinner is now on the table :vroam:

indeed, boletus edulis was created by the gods just for us to eat, it is a fine fine shroom for the table and would not blame anyone for its taking, although i hate it when i leave juveniles of fungi to get a better shot later to find some toads nicked em!:lol:

one of my favourite pizza when i was staying in rome was with porcini

David,

I'm sure, none of the porcini put on your pizza came from Italy.

Almost all "Italian" Boletus edulis, which in Swedish is called Karl Johan, after a king with a big head and sticking forward belly :001_tongue: , is imported from Scandinavia and transported by ship to Italy, where the "mush masters" dry and package them and put labels with "produito d' Italia" on the very expensive bags with very small portions of dried fungi, of which I sometimes have wondered, whether they were all real "porcini" :thumbdown: .

ok i am fed now so i can talk food hehe.

Your probably right gerrit but i have on more than one occasion been to a "sagra dei porcini" in italy which is basically an eating party which the italians are extremely good at, this one of course being a celebration of porcini. At these partys there is local guys selling the porcini freshly picked by their own hands so i know its from italy and very local. Supermarkets are always getting their stuff from everywhere else except the local suppliers and thats where your scandanavian ones will end up.

ok i am fed now so i can talk food hehe.

Your probably right gerrit but i have on more than one occasion been to a "sagra dei porcini" in italy which is basically an eating party which the italians are extremely good at, this one of course being a celebration of porcini. At these partys there is local guys selling the porcini freshly picked by their own hands so i know its from italy and very local. Supermarkets are always getting their stuff from everywhere else except the local suppliers and thats where your scandanavian ones will end up.

David,

It's always nice to enjoy good food (and drinks) with locals :thumbup1: . But to give you an idea of numbers, we're talking about 600 metric tons of "porcini" coming from Scandinavia every year, picked by Polish and Lituanian season workers camping in their VW-vans and making coffee fires in the woods everywhere, because of the Swedish "almansrecht".