Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

Only 5 metres :biggrin: for a tree species, which can send out its water searching roots more then 25 metres away from the base of the trunk ? Also see : this post.

Well aware that mature Oaks roots protrude slightly further afield than 5 meters, thankyou Gerrit :biggrin:

If I'm honest, I can't even be 100% sure that the tree sp in the original Russula shot is even Ash.

In my haste to get to another site, I may have rushed that important piece of the picture.

School boy error.

Based the info on what I remember from the site & the trip to the same site last year by myself & Tony.

I could be wrong.

Perhaps it is a young Oak tree, perhaps the Russulas are indeed on the roots of that Mature dryadeus affected Oak opposite.

Will remember this the next time I'm so blase with my assumptions :001_smile:

I get the lesson :thumbup1:

I can't even be 100% sure that the tree sp in the original Russula shot is even Ash. Perhaps it is a young Oak tree, perhaps the Russulas are indeed on the roots of that Mature dryadeus affected Oak opposite.

Even if it is a young oak, in this phase of its life cycle its roots have to be connected to the root system of the older tree to produce one or a few FB's of Russula's or any kind of other ectomycorrhizal macrofungi with big energy consuming FB's. Also see : this post.

Even if it is a young oak, in this phase of its life cycle its roots have to be connected to the root system of the older tree to produce one or a few FB's of Russula's or any kind of other ectomycorrhizal macrofungi with big energy consuming FB's. Also see : this post.

Noted,

Will remember this the next time I'm so blase with my assumptions

IME we Arborists have that affliction in common David, very few of us (me included :blushing:) take the time to be clear about what we can show/support with strong evidence, and what we feel/assume/believe/etc...

In some ways it can be an excellent facet of an open approach that permits lateral thought, but somewhat more likely and commonly it can lead to mistakes/errors in accuracy. I am the laziest person I know so I know that I regularly make mistakes and generalisations in conversation and forum posts that are of course intended to promote lateral thought.:sneaky2:

IME we Arborists have that affliction in common David, very few of us (me included :blushing:) take the time to be clear about what we can show/support with strong evidence, and what we feel/assume/believe/etc...

In some ways it can be an excellent facet of an open approach that permits lateral thought, but somewhat more likely and commonly it can lead to mistakes/errors in accuracy. I am the laziest person I know so I know that I regularly make mistakes and generalisations in conversation and forum posts that are of course intended to promote lateral thought.:sneaky2:

Too true Sean :thumbup1:

It's (from my perspective) about trying to find the balance in communicating what we see. (science, imagery, forays, lateral thinking & banter)

Too much science literally shuts down lines of communication across the spectrum of Arbs (which almost makes the interaction pointless)

& the humility to accept that we (even collectively) know didley squat about the complex interactions across the natural world.

Having Gerrit here happily sharing his wealth of knowledge & having the banter at the same time, is priceless.

I always try to keep in mind that great quote from Ted about if we were penning the complete book of Trees "we've actually only just written the cover & index, so far............"

Besides, as long as the young oak doesn't blossom and fruit, it is not yet in need of the phosphor it mainly gets delivered via the mycelia and ectomycorrhizae of Russula's and Lactarius species, necessary for the (re)formation of DNA to pass on in its seeds.

Pleurotus pulmonarius on Beech trunk........

David,

Nice pictures :thumbup: with so much detail, that I think it could just as well be Pleurotus cornucopiae, because it is funnel-shaped, has deeply decurrent lamellae and also seems to have transverse connections between the lamellae.