Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

Did you collect and eat it ? If so, some years ago in England there has been a case of "poisening" of professional mycologists to the extent that admittance to a hospital was necessary reported, after eating chicken of the woods.

I've eaten it before :001_huh: Can you expand a bit? I don't want to go topping myself for a good bacon compliment!

I've eaten it before :001_huh: Can you expand a bit? I don't want to go topping myself for a good bacon compliment!

Sorry, no, as it still is an unanswered question what caused the illness of the mycologists consuming it. Besides, they survived without after effects, so there is no risk of "topping" yourself.

Two explanations have been suggested :

- It could have been an allergic reaction in association with or to specific medication, like I have for some years suffered from after taking certain prescribed medicins and eating lots of Boletus edulis and B. badius, Leccinum rufum, Hydnum repandum and Cantharellus cibarius collected in the Eifel, when I lived there.

- It could be due to changes in the genetic characteristics of the fungus caused by solar outbursts or explosions, as is suggested for the Tricholoma species in France.

If needed, I can provide a list of medicins of which has been proven, that they interact with the chitine component of the mushrooms.

Sorry, no, as it still is an unanswered question what caused the illness of the mycologists consuming it. Besides, they survived without after effects, so there is no risk of "topping" yourself.

Two explanations have been suggested :

- It could have been an allergic reaction in association with or to specific medication, like I have for some years suffered from after taking certain prescribed medicins and eating lots of Boletus edulis and B. badius, Leccinum rufum, Hydnum repandum and Cantharellus cibarius collected in the Eifel, when I lived there.

- It could be due to changes in the genetic characteristics of the fungus caused by solar outbursts or explosions, as is suggested for the Tricholoma species in France.

If needed, I can provide a list of medicins of which has been proven, that they interact with the chitine component of the mushrooms.

Cheers for that chief :thumbup: Think I might just be looking at them now though!

Polyporus squamosus & the slime mould Lycogala epidendrum here together on this log.

David,

If unlucky, the (Hama)dryad's saddle could partially be covered and consumed :blushing: by the red plasmodium of Lycogala epidendrum, although it is more often seen of the eggyolk yellowish plasmodium of Badhamia utricularis SoortenBank.nl : Troskalknetje - Badhamia utricularis, in this photo colonizing and "grazing" on Stereum hirsutum. There is a great German documentary on myxomycetes I have on dvd, I'll try to locate it on the internet and upload a link.

How high is the topography there.

Is it mainly coniferous?

The altitudes in the mountainous southern Eifel region vary from 400 to 600 metres. It is partially, but not mainly coniferous (Picea, Abies, Pinus, Larix), but also has large areas with "Lohehecken" (Quercus robur, Carpinus and Corylus) forests, old beech woods, poor (calcareous) grasslands with Juniperus and lots of orchids and macrofungi (Hygrocybe, Clavulinopsis, Earth Tongues), in the clefts and along brooks relicts of Lime and Holly woodlands, open forests with birch, ash, Robinia and poplar (P. tremula) and banks of streams with alder, willow and poplar.