Splicing kit

WorcsWuss

which Samson splicing kit are you on about?

all the ones i can see on their website are all but useless for splicing arb ppe ropes, perhaps you'd be best off finding a mentor or, better still, booking yourself on to a splicing course? give nod a ring at treeworker he is a top bloke and will tell you all you need to know, he's one of the few people in this industry you can take his word as pretty much gospel, if he doesn't know he'll say so, not bull sh** you like too many people in this trade.

alternatively if your traveling down Bristol way give me a PM and you can come have a go with me, i've got some spare wire fids etc for you to borrow

Thanks Skip, kind offer, I don't think I'll get the opportunity to take you up on it sadly but thanks anyway!

I'll speak to Nod, I've made up a couple of baskets of tools I'll pick up online and give it a try. Going to start with a few trial splices I can test to destruction first before I go hanging myself off them.... My old man can splice from his sailing so I'll pick his brains if [and when!] I get stuck....:001_smile:

which Samson splicing kit are you on about?

all the ones i can see on their website are all but useless for splicing arb ppe ropes, perhaps you'd be best off finding a mentor or, better still, booking yourself on to a splicing course? give nod a ring at treeworker he is a top bloke and will tell you all you need to know, he's one of the few people in this industry you can take his word as pretty much gospel, if he doesn't know he'll say so, not bull sh** you like too many people in this trade.

alternatively if your traveling down Bristol way give me a PM and you can come have a go with me, i've got some spare wire fids etc for you to borrow

if I get over to Bristol I will give you a shout. Love to compare notes when I can. take care.

• 1 month later...

How many of you are using wire fids exclusively?

I set myself up a kit for about £9.

£7.99 of that was the sailmakers palm. Got given a couple of needles. Whipping twine was £1.50. Bought a knitting needle and a crochet hook from a charity shop for 50p to use as a marlin spike.

Making my wire fids out of old guitar strings = free.

Done 6 eye splices so far, so kind of getting the hang of it.

Only thing I can't help but keep thinking is that it would be so much easier with a proper fid?!

I've started using the knitting needle to put the cover into the core as that's the easiest bit, and the pushing action works so much better than trying to pull it through.

I just taper it, put the needle inside up to the tape at the end and push it through.

My last splice I used it to put the cover into the core as well, though it took a bit more doing as I kept punching the needle through the tape. I got it through in the end though with much less effort and damage to myself - which is more than can be said for the "progress" I made trying to pull it through with the wire fid (mostly swearing and torn-up palms, followed by the fid pulling out of the cover with the core still inside).

Can anyone shed any light as to why they're using wire instead of hollow/solid/whatevertheyrecalled fids?

• 1 year later...