Stolen billhook

Crazy Cutter

Thanks again guys the length of handle on the 35 quid one made it look more like a slasher but as long as the blade isn't huge i could cut the handle down and re shape to suit. Off the top of my head i paid 40 for my one i have never paid more than that and have quite a few now. The best hedging hook for pleaching i've found is the hertford as it has no nose and a curved blade like a butchers knife so you always hit even in tight spaces.

And what would be the difference between a no.1 and a no.2? as both look similar the no.2 has been sold.

Edited by Crazy Cutter

I've just started out in Hedgelaying, been considering what Billhook to get - used a Kent style one on my course - advice??

Plus, where do you find list of the styles of Billhooks, and what all the No.s and codes mean??

Thanks

You need the handbook hedgelaying explained by NHLS it has a pullout diagram with most of the billhook styles though not all. I have a book called country crafts from the sixties which has 29 hooks even a norfolk style. Most hooks are for hedging and usually have a point on the nose for pushing thorn back into the hedge and some are for coppice cutting such as the devon and tenderden. As for codes its usually a cat no or maybe a size waiting for someone else to answer that one.

I've just started out in Hedgelaying, been considering what Billhook to get - used a Kent style one on my course - advice??

Plus, where do you find list of the styles of Billhooks, and what all the No.s and codes mean??

Thanks

There's quite a good list on this page (if you save the image you can magnify it to read the text):

English billhooks - A Load of Old Billhooks

I've never seen any consistency in the codes used by different makers so presume they're just manufacturers' reference numbers, except the blade length which is often stamped in near the back end.

Personally, I like the Kent pattern as I find the sharp hook on the end useful. I like a longer hook (10") for reaching deeper into places without getting my hands so close in (more avoiding snakes than thorns), and having now tried both I have found it easier to keep the handle tight on a tanged hook than a socketed one.

Alec

Thanks

get yourself a 9inch hook devon/hampshire/ tenderton. best place to get one and very good woking old tools old woking. does some very good bills. and good price not far from you £30 for one ewell/stanforths.brades/are all good makes the older ones made during the 30,s 40,s are far better than new hooks you can get. they where forged using wrought iron with a carbon centre new ones just cut out with plasma cutter. with woking you can feel them and see what you like. a bill is only good for small stuff need to cut bigger stuff yorkshire and a 41/2 lb side axe. if you want to get more experiance laying hedges get hold of surrey hedgelaying group. have a day at byfleet this saturday.