echo CS420ES running problems

hedgesparrow

hi have this saw had it from new. when its running good little saw ideal for most work i need it for. but its a right bitch to get to run from cold. prime it pull the choke out pull it it fires pull it again it splutters into life then dies do this 4 or 5 times when it decides it will run i need to feather it to get it warm to run ok. its other problem is put it down just for a min and pick it up pull trigger and it dies or splutters before going again.

i have had it checked no problem found have run it on normal 2 stroke hates it run it on aspen bit better but not good. other saws i had prime pull choke out fires push choke in and away they go and do so all day not this echo.

any idears and any other forum member run one.

its put me off getting any echo product again.

hi have this saw had it from new. when its running good little saw ideal for most work i need it for. but its a right bitch to get to run from cold. prime it pull the choke out pull it it fires pull it again it splutters into life then dies do this 4 or 5 times when it decides it will run i need to feather it to get it warm to run ok. its other problem is put it down just for a min and pick it up pull trigger and it dies or splutters before going again.

i have had it checked no problem found have run it on normal 2 stroke hates it run it on aspen bit better but not good. other saws i had prime pull choke out fires push choke in and away they go and do so all day not this echo.

any idears and any other forum member run one.

its put me off getting any echo product again.

Sounds a bit like a carb set up issue - when you get it going on the fast idle, does the saw....fast idle - race with the chain spinning or is the fast idle setting a bit low?

The issue may just be that the carb L screw needs setting by someone who knows what they are doing!

The feathering usually means that the saw is running a tad lean - you could try turning the L screw out by 1/4 turn and then adjust the Idle screw to compensate and see how that goes!

What colour is the plug after running a while?

its trying to get it to run when it does idle when warm ticks over nice and then will run up ok its getting to start. and if left even running pull the trigger and it stops or you have to feather it to get it to run up to full revs.

taken it to arb shop played with it but did not make much difference. they said it was made for the usa market which is drier and they do not like northern europe weather. find it strange. plug looks ok and have given it a good clean cleaned all the filters out. at a loss

I run exactly the same saw for fencing and i cannot fault it, it gets started and stopped all day 5 days a week, runs flat out for a minute or two then gets stopped and so on, which isnt ideal for any saw but its the nature of the job. The only problem I have had is the pull cord has snapped 4 times now which is a pain but otherwise would rate it in every way and have never touched it mechanically. Much cheaper than stihl and husky and I would say pound for pound a better saw, hope it improves for you! I wouldnt have any other saw now

thanks for info though i would go for echo as it looked a good saw. i will take it into shed in morning have a look at carb needles and give them a tweek to see if it will start and run any better when its going what a saw. love it its just getting it to run in the first few mins then stay running when i have got it going.

did have a oleomac that i could not fault one of the best saws i ever bought.

the amount of wood that cut up must of been in the hundred of tonnes never let us down as father in law used it most of the time.did look at getting a new one. but do not know if just as good as old one

the echo saw's are good ilke i said sounds like a carb fault that may need a tweak my echos on a cold morning start fine but need to tick over a little first if not they will burp and stall but let it tick over for 30sec and be fine all day as for the oleo-mac saws can be a bit hit of miss did have a dealer close to me about 4 years ago the only problem was he said that about 70% of the ones he sold kep dropping the chain so you would have stop and re tighten the chain but the new oleo-mac have a 2 year warrenty so im sure they may have improved