Business is slow!

Chaldean Firewood

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could also be the size of the delivery truck. They haven't got time to think about size of trucks and access. Try a smaller one landrover for one bag? People don't want hassle when buying, they don't like to think, make it as easy as possible. The amount of people i've got who compare load price not load size!

Do you use Google Adwords (not express version -rubbish) - make a map of your target market, bid on key words such as firewood etc. Also agree with others,Gumtree good & local newspaper ads. Chimney sweeps are good as are stove shops, particularly if you do them favours (ie. discounts)! Whilst I keep everything fairly mechanised I have to admit retaining a level ofquality is paramount as word of mouth is my biggest advert.

Agree with others about vehicle choice, big brute, would not be ideal delivering to my customers. Where ever a car can go I can normally reverse my trailer, customers really appreciate it if you can get wood where they want it dropped. I also do a stacking service which if you are quiet may help bring in a few bob.

Your website is very clean and presentable. I am based up in Highlands where people do not necessarily have so much money but I think you are too expensive. Get cubic meter volume bags, easier volume for customers to understand. Your website does not seem to offer bulk buy deals (had quick check). For instance - 1 cube for £85, why not try something like 2 for £150 -160, 3 for £200-220?

Your business practices are commendable but we live in a recession and most folk are strapped for cash and will buy where cheapest.

Couple of other things I noticed, customers can only pay by credit card, paypal- all very high tech and expensive to run. I mainly do cash/ cheque (if they seem honest) and bank transfer. You may be putting off a large part of your market especially computer illiterate - be flexible.

I google searched your profile name and 'c firewood' and could not find you, had to use the link in one of the other replies.