foreign nationals

the hedge man

I was single in all my moving around till I brought my cat back from Spain. My next move to NZ will be complicated by this as I can't rent a place with a cat and haven't, as yet found a solution to the problem, but I will.

My brothers kids have never known a permanent home as he's moved around the world with them but on a good salary and with the help of his company.

Will Morris on this forum went to NZ because he couldn't get a starter job here.

Where there's a will there's a way.

It's more difficult with a family but by no means impossible. I'd find it easier to take a wife and kid to NZ than my cat...he doesn't help out much with the logistics.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i left school in 1979 at 16, and i have been in employment since, but i have never left my home town, and i dont think its fair to say that we are the ones with anti foreigner views,personally i am not anti foreigner its just that the sheer number of them that came to our area there was not enough work for all of them and a lot of them turned to crime, and remember a lot of people just cant up sticks and move town for employment, i dont know if you were single when you done your travelling but a lot of people have commitments, family, kids etc.
i fully agree:thumbup:

I hope UKIP get their way. The British government and not the EU should govern the influx of foreign nationals (and everything else) in this country.

That's quite an interesting comment. Rather than blame individual immigrants, or slate fellow workers, I've always been more interested in the UK Government's role in all of this.

Before the 2007 crash, Government pretty much encouraged immigration from areas with lower wage costs. In a boom time, as it was at that time, the extra demand for labour would normally cause wages to rise, but this influx of cheap labour kept wages down (and corporate profits up, of course). In 2006, Jobcentre plus, in partnership with the Polish employment services, actually ran a jobs fair in Warsaw. Warsaw-job-centre-plus-job-fair I'm pretty sure that was at a time when we had our own unemployed, but rather than train those up, it was more profitable to rob another country of their workers. It's not that the UK government had no choice in this, either. At the time, only 3 EU member states out of 15 allowed uncontrolled immigration, and one of them was the UK. The other EU members held out and restricted immigration until 2011, when EU law compelled them to open their doors.

Ok, so immigration has kept wages down for the benefit of companies who'd employ them, but to engineer this situation has been pretty reckless in my view. First of all, we've got the obvious social tensions. Secondly, East Europeans tend to export as much of their wages as they can, so that money never gets recycled into our own economy, whereas it would have if locals had done those jobs (There's also the issue of even more money being exported from our benefits system: as EU citizens, they're entitled to have a crack at whatever benefits are available to UK citizens). Thirdly, there's the issue of one of the richest nations in the EU siphoning off the brightest and most highly motivated workers from one of the poorer EU nations. A lot of the Poles that have come over here to cut cabbages etc would have been teachers, doctors, dentists back home, and this has caused a real skills shortage there.

It's a shame that the debate so often boils down to the "foreigners pinching our jobs" vs "lazy Brits" cliches. A lot of this is misleading or untrue spin, but it serves its purpose; while we're all squabbling amongst ourselves, no-one sees the bigger picture.

I was single in all my moving around till I brought my cat back from Spain. My next move to NZ will be complicated by this as I can't rent a place with a cat and haven't, as yet found a solution to the problem, but I will.

My brothers kids have never known a permanent home as he's moved around the world with them but on a good salary and with the help of his company.

Will Morris on this forum went to NZ because he couldn't get a starter job here.

Where there's a will there's a way.

It's more difficult with a family but by no means impossible. I'd find it easier to take a wife and kid to NZ than my cat...he doesn't help out much with the logistics.

You can most definately rent a place with a cat Albedo, it's dogs that people have issues with. I moved here in 1998 and I have to say that I'm sick of all you foreigners moving over here. Funny though because we consider foreigners as Chinese, Indians, islanders etc but never ourselves.