Is this really a police matter???

skyhuck

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I detest prank calls, if i hear them on the radio i switch off and never go back to that station. The person making the call has no idea or history of the person they are calling. How do they know if the person they are calling has a delicate medical problem, or mental problem, they dont and they dont care either.

I agree with this entirely.

If they're like the "talent" we have over here, I'd guess that those DJs wouldn't have thought about anything else other than how clever they would look if they'd pulled their stunt off.

Having said that, celebrities like these are often a tad narcissistic, and so I wouldn't expect a lot of them to think of anyone other than themselves. The real failing here is of their management and legal team: the fact that they reviewed this after the event and then still decided it was fit to broadcast (without the permission of the hospital staff or anyone else involved) is unforgivable, as far as I'm concerned.

According to the reports I saw, that prank managed to get hold of confidential medical data of a patient at that hospital by deception, and they then broadcast parts or all of it. Of course the police would get involved, even if it's only to find out whether there's a crime there and whether there's a case to prosecute.

What the DJs did was disgusting.

1 - they attempted to obtain personal information by deception (a criminal offence in this country)

2 - they took advantage of someone else's misfortune (a sick girl in hospital) for their own advantage

3 - they humiliated the person who answered the phone in front of a large audience

4 - suicide is often borne out of depression, and depression is not a rational illness. Choices made by sufferers may seem irrational to those who are not suffering, but cannot be judged by the same standards

We know very little about the nurse who killed herself. She may or may not have had an underlying condition. But think of it this way - if she was someone who took great pride in her work, and found her voice being played on news bulletins all around the world as the idiot who was bluffed by a couple of pranksters, how the hell do you think she would feel?

I'm truly amazed by the attitude of many of you, I now understand why the Daily Mail sells so many copies.

These DJ's did not want confidential medical details about Kate, that was not what this was about, the only reason that information was obtained by them was because of the incompetence of the hospital.

The DJ's were trying to be funny, OK maybe it was a childish, ill thought out joke, but it was a joke. I heard the recording on the news and the impersonation of the Queen was ridiculous, how if fooled any one is quite beyond me :confused1:, I personally found the whole thing very amusing (obviously before the tragedy)

I'd have to agree with you Dave.

I've taken a bit of a hammering so far, perhaps because my comment about a non event was read to mean the apparent suicide, rather than the prank itself which was what I meant. And there have been plenty keen to shoot me down as wrong without accepting they could well be wrong too, NONE of us know all the facts, so everyone's opinion is valid and it's a bit arrogant to claim otherwise. Particularly those unfortunate to have first hand experience of suicide, they should know better than anyone that every situation is different and no one can claim to be an expert.

Let's say that one of these dj's takes their life as a result of the mob justice some quarters seem to be clamouring for. Does that make you any better than those you have identified as the culprits of Saldhana's apparent suicide?

When I first heard the story I thought how tragic, poor girl, a young nurse, trying to make a career, over worked, underpaid and alone, tired and confused and believing she'd destroyed her career before it started. Suicide was an unfortunate and not entirely unsurprising outcome.

But then I found that the victim wasn't in that position. She had a support network, she had dependents. And my view shifted to those she left behind. Why wasn't it picked up sooner that she needed help? How many close friends let her down? Had she asked for help, had she not received it? How could she leave her husband and children? And my sympathy moved from her to her kids. They're the ones suffering.

So yes, in this case, on the face of it assuming she was the honest and upstanding person we've heard her to be, then there was an alternative to what she did. What the consequences of that may have been for her we don't know, but her kids wouldn't have lost their mother, and that's the important factor in all of this.

As a parent I can hand on heart say that nothing I could do, or anyone else could do, would make me leave my children without it being entirely selfish. A parent's job is to be there for their kids.

If you need help you have to ask for it, it's part of being a responsible parent.

I couldn't forgive my wife if she did this, I wouldn't expect forgiveness if I did it to my kids and my valid opinion as a parent is that no one should give up on their life and leave their kids behind. If you have nothing else, you still have your kids. If you need help, get it.

Nurse Saldhana chose this route, she wasn't forced down it by these buffoons.

And if you disagree with me fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm incredulous that anyone thinks taking your life before Christmas leaving your kids is a valid response to any personal issue.

If she was vulnerable to this then she should have been cared for better, but the reports in the news imply she had no such reason to follow this tragic path.

I'm out of this one now before a posse comes after me as well!

Edited by WorcsWuss

Sorry what is funny about this aside from the crappy impersonation?

If it was a call to the palace and they managed to get through to her for a random chat then that could be seen as funny. But as it stands a woman has taken her life, another has had personal information of her condition broadcast across the world. An on top of that people find that funny?

Ask yourself s if it was your medical information been shared with the whole world how would you feel.

Is it a case for the police to look into? Yes there has been a breach of security and there has been a death.

Plus on a lighter note a crime against humour

Sorry what is funny about this aside from the crappy impersonation?

If it was a call to the palace and they managed to get through to her for a random chat then that could be seen as funny. But as it stands a woman has taken her life, another has had personal information of her condition broadcast across the world. An on top of that people find that funny?

Ask yourself s if it was your medical information been shared with the whole world how would you feel.

Is it a case for the police to look into? Yes there has been a breach of security and there has been a death.

Plus on a lighter note a crime against humour

:confused1: What medical information?? I've not heard it and I can't find it on the web.

I'd have to agree with you Dave.

I've taken a bit of a hammering so far, perhaps because my comment about a non event was read to mean the apparent suicide, rather than the prank itself which was what I meant. And there have been plenty keen to shoot me down as wrong without accepting they could well be wrong too, NONE of us know all the facts, so everyone's opinion is valid and it's a bit arrogant to claim otherwise. Particularly those unfortunate to have first hand experience of suicide, they should know better than anyone that every situation is different and no one can claim to be an expert.

Let's say that one of these dj's takes their life as a result of the mob justice some quarters seem to be clamouring for. Does that make you any better than those you have identified as the culprits of Saldhana's apparent suicide?

When I first heard the story I thought how tragic, poor girl, a young nurse, trying to make a career, over worked, underpaid and alone, tired and confused and believing she'd destroyed her career before it started. Suicide was an unfortunate and not entirely unsurprising outcome.

But then I found that the victim wasn't in that position. She had a support network, she had dependents. And my view shifted to those she left behind. Why wasn't it picked up sooner that she needed help? How many close friends let her down? Had she asked for help, had she not received it? How could she leave her husband and children? And my sympathy moved from her to her kids. They're the ones suffering.

So yes, in this case, on the face of it assuming she was the honest and upstanding person we've heard her to be, then there was an alternative to what she did. What the consequences of that may have been for her we don't know, but her kids wouldn't have lost their mother, and that's the important factor in all of this.

As a parent I can hand on heart say that nothing I could do, or anyone else could do, would make me leave my children without it being entirely selfish. A parent's job is to be there for their kids.

If you need help you have to ask for it, it's part of being a responsible parent.

I couldn't forgive my wife if she did this, I wouldn't expect forgiveness if I did it to my kids and my valid opinion as a parent is that no one should give up on their life and leave their kids behind. If you have nothing else, you still have your kids. If you need help, get it.

And if you disagree with me fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm incredulous that anyone thinks taking your life before Christmas leaving your kids is a valid response to any personal issue.

If she was vulnerable to this then she should have been cared for better, but the reports in the news imply she had no such reason to follow this tragic path.

I'm out of this one now before a posse comes after me as well!

The point is she may off been forced by her mind wich may not off been working properly! How does this make her a coward!! I don't see it?

The point is she may off been forced by her mind wich may not off been working properly! How does this make her a coward!! I don't see it?

She had a support network, she had dependents.

Why wasn't it picked up sooner that she needed help? How many close friends let her down? Had she asked for help, had she not received it? How could she leave her husband and children?

A parent's job is to be there for their kids.

If you have nothing else, you still have your kids. If you need help, get it.

:confused1::confused1: