SRT vs DRT???

Bewarethemoon

Hi guys,

I'm new to this and only been working in the industry for 6 months now, though loving every minute I might add, as a groundie. In that period I've also been attempting to learn to climb in my free time using what I assume are very basic DRT techniques (climbing line over a natural crotch and then tied in with a blakes hitch coupled with a flip line and micro-grab once into the tree).

My question to anyone who feels like answering is, and I'm aware it might be a real 'rookie' one at that, is what are the advantages and disadvantes of both techniques (SRT & DRT) opposed to each other? I've tried to research myself but I've found it all a little too confusing for someone so 'wet behind the ears' as myself. Can anyone shed some light on the basics for me?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

There both great techniques. It's not really a case of vs. getting hold of the tcia best practice to srt and Jeff jepsons 'tree climbers companion' and also treemagineers ' hitch climbers guide to the canopy '. Combined these books answer a lot and explain a load. But ultimately, climbing with people well versed at both is the only way to answer your question bro.

Edited by DrewB

Srt is still in it's infancy really with regards tree work. Work positioning techniques are developing all the time though, see rope wrench and hitch hiker threads. Ddrt (which is what I presume you mean) is still the quickest way to get set up, and presents the widest range of options in terms of hardware. Srt is better suited to long ascents up a rope than ddrt but personally I don't go that high so don't worry too much. I do fancy trying srt soon though. Depends how you want to climb and what you want to invest!

Strictly speaking, you are comparing SRT with DdRT.

DRT is frequently used as an abbreviation for "Doubled Rope Technique", but as DRT may also mean "Double Rope Technique" (climbing with two ropes), so to avoid any confusion, you really should use the abbreviation DdRT (not that I think there were any confusion, this being an arborist forum).

Edited by morten

An SRT system makes work less physically demanding as you use the big muscles in your legs rather than hauling your entire weight up with arm muscles.

Changing from DRT to SRT is a challenge for those of us that have been climbing DRT for years but I see no reason why a novice shouldn't climb on SRT and just learn that process. In fact my apprentice (who's just left) has just got the hang of DRT but now has a Hitch Hiker which he didn't have a problem with.

SRT provides much faster access into the tree and it is way easier to get up on ascenders than man haul up.

Also, for jobs such as dismantles or pollards there is no need to go to the TIP then descend to start work from the bottom. Your TIP is set before you climb which means work starts as soon as you get to the lowest branch. Once again saving you lots of energy and time.

Get hold of the tcia book bro- great reference material to have in the work truck. Try and go on some of the rec climbs that get organised on here- climbing for fun is a lot easier to learn a a new technique rather than in a work situation.