Bowtie Risk assessment for top handled chainsaw

ben-jammin

Anyone ever done one of these? I would imagine it's something that is more likely to have been carried out or occurred within the larger commercial firms who may have a more corporate approach to H&S and RA.

Currently trying to put one together and think I've got the bases covered but any input is gratefully received!

:thumbup:

I do lots of risk assessment and I've never come across this method.... even for craneage of structural steel on urban worksites....

But googling it makes me think it's an even bigger load of bollocks than a common or garden 'linear' risk assessment..... Certainly the examples I found were pretty unreadable!

WorcsWuss - its application is more suited to situations where multiple activities can be deemed a threat or a cause with a low likelihood, high severity outcome as the top event with one or a combination of several consequences, much more relevant to chemical processing plants, mine operations or other similar... where your talking major disaster with fatalities in the tens or hundreds, not slips trips or falls to a few individuals.

I quite agree, linear risk assessment would likely more more practicable in every day use for top handle saws and i'm simply using this in this context for my own practice simply because its something i'm familiar with.

I am in no way saying that this is the bright and shiny future of RA in arb - though surely awareness of other RA methods and systems isn't such a bad thing even if we don't implement them. (more than one way to skin a cat).

Anyone ever done one of these? I would imagine it's something that is more likely to have been carried out or occurred within the larger commercial firms who may have a more corporate approach to H&S and RA.

Currently trying to put one together and think I've got the bases covered but any input is gratefully received!

:thumbup:

I have to admit, I'd never even heard of the term prior to your posting (hnec I went back to my NEBOSH course notes / books and no mention there either.)

However I think you've summed it up quite nicely, further the 'Wiki' reference is contained within section headed "Risk Management Techniques in Petroleum and Gas"...and I think that says it all.

What I do know/understand is that the level of complexity of your risk assessment should refelct the level of complexity of the task/job, hence I'd stick to the 'bow-tie' being something you tie around your neck...or maybe other part of your anatomy.

The 'linear', or composite, risk assessment methodology should be deemed adequate for using atop-handled chainsaw (there is a generic RA for general chainsaw use at Help becoming an ARB Approved Contractor scroll down to RA section.)

Hope this helps and thanks for the clarification.

Cheers..

Paul

WorcsWuss - its application is more suited to situations where multiple activities can be deemed a threat or a cause with a low likelihood, high severity outcome as the top event with one or a combination of several consequences, much more relevant to chemical processing plants, mine operations or other similar... where your talking major disaster with fatalities in the tens or hundreds, not slips trips or falls to a few individuals.

I quite agree, linear risk assessment would likely more more practicable in every day use for top handle saws and i'm simply using this in this context for my own practice simply because its something i'm familiar with.

I am in no way saying that this is the bright and shiny future of RA in arb - though surely awareness of other RA methods and systems isn't such a bad thing even if we don't implement them. (more than one way to skin a cat).

Interesting Ben. What have you used this method to assess in the past? Presumably it takes quite a while to put together an accurate assessment?

So if I follow you correctly, this method would be used where a sequence of events, if they were to occur together or in a certain order, would cause a cosmic level distster, like a nuclear meltdown or similar....?

I suppose it would be a struggled to asess that on the same form I use for stripping a roof! :laugh1:

So far I haven't used it before which is why I'm using top handles as an example in a practice run as it's a more simple concept and one I'm familiar with.

Being familiar with the topic it didn't actually take me that long to pull it together, just a pen and some scribbling.

There's specific software which I've been allowed a free trial of which helps you format it rather than mucking about in word drawing and formatting shapes which believe me, from past experience takes forever.

and yes, you follow correctly, its for much larger scale 'events' currently being used across large scale operations for low likelihood high consequence 'events'

If I can I'll upload what I came up with this afternoon on a dry run with the software