Reccomend me a chain and bar for stihl 051 av please

t5pete

Congrats on buying a great old saw there! Do be aware that you can swap the 051 piston/cylinder out for an 075/076 (111cc) cylinder without too much work, should you have reason to need a new p/c set. I think the only real difference was that the 051 used studs and nuts and the 075/076 used bolts to attach the cylinder to the crankcase. The thread pitch was the same, so it's an easy swap.

You may also wish to de-govern the carb. The stock carb is setup with a governor that limits your RPM more than is really necessary. You can safely disable this feature and pull a couple thousand more RPM out of the saw while still running with an appropriate air-fuel ratio.

What pitch chain is on there now? What sort of bar - hardnose, roller nose, sprocket? If the bar is still in usable shape, I'd probably run whatever chain works with that bar rather than go shopping for a new bar, too. These saws use the large-mount Stihl pattern, not the "regular" one that fits the 026-066 family of saws. You can still get them from Stihl (at least in the US), though they are priced a bit higher than comparable-sized "regular" mount bars.

The old 051/075/076 saws are fun saws with a lot of torque. When I had some a number of years back, I ran 3/8" pitch with an 8-tooth drive rim and that combination pulled with authority on a 41" bar (075 powerhead) with the rakers lowered a fair bit. You could run .404" pitch and pull it fine, if that is your preference, preferably with a 7-tooth rim. I ran GB (the good older Aussie bars, not the newer crap ones) and Cannon on my large-frame Stihls.

GTG_6Medium.jpg

GTG_20Medium.jpg

Thats a great bit of info there thank you i have managed to get a chain from chainsawbars which is a 404, the bar i have on at the moment is a oregon 25" solid bar with a 7 tooth sprocket.

At the moment the saw is running brilliant but if in future i do need new internals the 111cc route sound very intresting does the 051 carb work with it or will i need to get a 076 carb aswell.

Thank you

• 11 months later...
Congrats on buying a great old saw there! Do be aware that you can swap the 051 piston/cylinder out for an 075/076 (111cc) cylinder without too much work, should you have reason to need a new p/c set. I think the only real difference was that the 051 used studs and nuts and the 075/076 used bolts to attach the cylinder to the crankcase. The thread pitch was the same, so it's an easy swap.

You may also wish to de-govern the carb. The stock carb is setup with a governor that limits your RPM more than is really necessary. You can safely disable this feature and pull a couple thousand more RPM out of the saw while still running with an appropriate air-fuel ratio.

What pitch chain is on there now? What sort of bar - hardnose, roller nose, sprocket? If the bar is still in usable shape, I'd probably run whatever chain works with that bar rather than go shopping for a new bar, too. These saws use the large-mount Stihl pattern, not the "regular" one that fits the 026-066 family of saws. You can still get them from Stihl (at least in the US), though they are priced a bit higher than comparable-sized "regular" mount bars.

The old 051/075/076 saws are fun saws with a lot of torque. When I had some a number of years back, I ran 3/8" pitch with an 8-tooth drive rim and that combination pulled with authority on a 41" bar (075 powerhead) with the rakers lowered a fair bit. You could run .404" pitch and pull it fine, if that is your preference, preferably with a 7-tooth rim. I ran GB (the good older Aussie bars, not the newer crap ones) and Cannon on my large-frame Stihls.

GTG_6Medium.jpg

GTG_20Medium.jpg

HI ALL dad has a 051av with 404 new 30"bar and chain on in very good nick it now on arb trarder it will make a good milling saw text me for pics on 07870 570 448 thanks jon :thumbup: