new chain

treesap67

looking to get ba spare chain for my sthil ms 261 what would you recomend

Do you frequently cut "dirty" wood (sand/earth in bark)?

If you do, I'd recommend a semi chisel, Rapid Micro (RM), as it is less sensitive and will will hold its edge better, requiring less sharpening, thus lasting longer.

Otherwise, I'd choose the full chisel, Rapid Super (RS) as it cuts faster (cross cutting).

See this page for info on Stihl chains: Saw chain types | STIHL | Stihl, Viking, chain saws, brushcutters, hedge trimmers, clearing saws, high-pressure cleaners, lawn mowers, trimmers

Oh... by the way - don't even consider a non-Stihl chain. Stihl chains are universally recognised as superior to Oregon, Carlton and others.

Edited by morten

I've got most of the Stihl chains - you can get them here Chains

The micro chisel (same really as semi chisel) is the one to go for as easier to sharpen and will keep it's edge longer.

Tip - Sign up as soon as you enter the site :biggrin: then let me know as you get a 10% discount being an arbtalker.