what equipment for a newbie?

Paul in France

Thanks Mick

Still trying to attach a photo :confused1:

maison_1315813828.jpg.eaa34abb1da65a70b5a3e4d7d53086a9.jpg

Oh it's worked:thumbup1:

Looks like the house is falling down cos it was built in the 17th C (and probably is!)

I've been on French eBay and everything looks tres cher compared to the UK site - but I'll give le bon coin a look

Cheers

Paul

Miles away, but as I say don't sprint home for everything, small agricultural tractors are cheap here, as are the implements, Try LE BON COIN a sort of french e-bay.

Mick

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh now that's done it.... :love: SOLD!!! :001_tongue:

We got this place for the same price as we got for a terraced house in the North East - pleased you like it - no smiley for "smug" but I admit that's how I feel. Believe it or not we first worked in this area for a short contract in March of this year. The missus loved it (as did I)and here we are.:001_smile:Never thought she'd go for it as a real home bird

We got this place for the same price as we got for a terraced house in the North East - pleased you like it - no smiley for "smug" but I admit that's how I feel. Believe it or not we first worked in this area for a short contract in March of this year. The missus loved it (as did I)and here we are.:001_smile:Never thought she'd go for it as a real home bird

I might start badgering you for information....! :biggrin:

Hello Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

Is 3 hectares going to yield sufficient wood to be worth the investment in tooling up for the job?

You can buy in 'chutes' which are trunks that fail Q.C due to splitting, not growing straight or from a known battlefield area.

This can be very much less expensive (25euros per stere equivilant) than actually trying to extract your own wood.

We buy a gurt lorry and trailer worth then spend quiet days crosscutting and splitting using a neighbours tractor which costs far less than buying your own equipment and less than buying in wood.

Also, if you have 2 hectares and above (I believe) then you MAY need a permit from the department of forestry (you do here in 35)

If you contact them you may get some free advice about forestry management so make sure you have plenty of Pastis and ice in stock.

All the best

Ty

Hello Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

Is 3 hectares going to yield sufficient wood to be worth the investment in tooling up for the job?

You can buy in 'chutes' which are trunks that fail Q.C due to splitting, not growing straight or from a known battlefield area.

This can be very much less expensive (25euros per stere equivilant) than actually trying to extract your own wood.

We buy a gurt lorry and trailer worth then spend quiet days crosscutting and splitting using a neighbours tractor which costs far less than buying your own equipment and less than buying in wood.

Also, if you have 2 hectares and above (I believe) then you MAY need a permit from the department of forestry (you do here in 35)

If you contact them you may get some free advice about forestry management so make sure you have plenty of Pastis and ice in stock.

All the best

Ty

Thanks Ty.

Good points. I wondered about permits. Very secluded but you never know. I thought about the outlay and don't want to go mad straight off. I need a big grass cutter and the ride ons are very expensive here new and the used ones look shagged so I thought a compact tractor could be a jack of all trades. I'll give what you say some serious thought.

Cheers

Just PM me if you want any information - only been here since August so far from an expert but you may be able to learn from our experiences and I'd be happy to help if I can

Thanks Paul. It's the purchase process I'm curious about.... I'll send you a message! :thumbup1: