How can our Veteran Trees be helped?

Andy Collins

Ok, I mistook which guide was being recommended without following the links, which I now have :001_smile:.

Seems to be little in there that actually really helps my point, but it's a start. I think we have the greatest pool of resources, experience, knowledge and skills available at this time, than we have ever had before to actually do something to help the trees, and do it across the nation in one joined up method, rather than many little factions setting sail in their own little boats.

I do think the general public need more education available to them, raising public awareness is the greatest tool we can possess, with public support funds can be raised, pressure put on local TOs and so on.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding of this thread is that Andy is talking about the type of tree in Ross's beech thread.

With that in mind I see little in the vet tree management guide that would offer any advise on gaining funding for managing a tree like that.

Perhaps the below tract being the nearest thing of relevance possibly worth investigating.

• Heritage Lottery funding is a possibility for survey and historic landscape work.

Of course i posted that because it was so irrelevant! while some are asking "if there is a database etc.

I have the Helen Read book, I've had it for probably nearly 15years, and used it frequently. But David is right, time and again we are covering the same ground, discussing why this or that should or shouldn't be felled. So the ATF have a sort of system, so the Woodland Trust have theirs, but again this is all so disjointed. If there is some kind of funding out there to support a charitable cause that could pay for the veterans to have necessary monitoring, protection, and essential works doing then can this be addressed.

This isn't a "them and us" issue, this is something anyone and everyone involved in the world of trees can be involved in, at any level. Maybe an "Adopt a Veteran" idea or something?

As people involved so closely in Arb, with an (un)healthy interest in trees, is this something that we can do, locally, or even nationally?

Ive no idea ndy and shall butt out and let you find out.

I doubt many will be that bothered tbh, many will not even give this more than a cursory glance. I wonder if it is even worth doing. We'll see I suppose. It's not romantic like saving a rainforest, it's not big like working to ease climate change, it's not big news to anyone, and there ain't no fluffy pandas.