The food chain and why you must change the way you shop

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

I've definitely seen it somewhere before, possibly off Facebook...

With the best will in the world, the problem I have with films like this is they come across as 'bleeding heart liberal' and that is offensive to so many people...

Honestly, I don't give a sh** about whether some bird from Africa thinks seeds are spirtual and that dark foreign conglomerates are destroying her country.... [And I take issue with that too, ALL western meddling in Africa cocks up their countries, including the bloody charities - subsidising public services for bent regimes doesn't help at all in the long term]

If you want to achieve a culture shift in this country you need to appeal to the majorty, and this film doesn't do that, worthy though it is, it's a massive turn off.... it tries to place responsibility for the woes of the whole world at the feet of the western consumer, and that's neither fair nor realistic.....

The way to change the way we consume in the UK at least is to sell some immediate short term benefits.

In my opinion, the advantages of shopping locally for seasonal, responsibly produced food are more cash in your pocket, a healthier lifestyle and a growing economy.

Sell those things to anyone who shops and you might get somewhere.

For what it's worth, I'm there already, I don't like supermarkets, I don't like imported food from overseas and I don't like the monopoly big chemical companies have over food production. But I don't have anything against GM's particularly and I don't feel I can do any more than I'm doing already.

Honestly, I don't give a sh** about whether some bird from Africa thinks seeds are spirtual and that dark foreign conglomerates are destroying her country.... [And I take issue with that too, ALL western meddling in Africa cocks up their countries, including the bloody charities - subsidising public services for bent regimes doesn't help at all in the long term]

Ah, bent regimes often supported, nay sponsored by the west. Also, there's a very good chance they wouldn't need so much help if those countries hadn't been pillaged for all of their valuable mineral resources back in the days of Empire...

I also am not a big fan of supermarkets yet have little choice as local produce is so often dressed up in hyper expensive chic. I live very close to Jimmy's Farm for instance, Around a quid per rasher? I for one need a very special occasion to justify that, delicious though it is.

As for GM, surely it's just selective breeding? Ever heard of the Texas strain ofheat? That's an interesting story. Most weed or tobacco smokers would be lost without a bit of the old GM, Skunk #1 anyone? :blushing:

Ah, bent regimes often supported, nay sponsored by the west. Also, there's a very good chance they wouldn't need so much help if those countries hadn't been pillaged for all of their valuable mineral resources back in the days of Empire...

I also am not a big fan of supermarkets yet have little choice as local produce is so often dressed up in hyper expensive chic. I live very close to Jimmy's Farm for instance, Around a quid per rasher? I for one need a very special occasion to justify that, delicious though it is.

As for GM, surely it's just selective breeding? Ever heard of the Texas strain ofheat? That's an interesting story. Most weed or tobacco smokers would be lost without a bit of the old GM, Skunk #1 anyone? :blushing:

did you even watch the video?

GM and selective breeding are like chalk and cheese.

Domestic apples arose as a result of selecting individual crab apples with desirable qualities and breeding from them. No non-apple genes were ever added (I'm not sure that Romans/iron age folk/etc actually had gene-splicing technology).

GM involves adding a transgenic DNA (e.g. spider DNA into tomatoes) to achieve a desired result. There is no way that spider DNA would ever naturally occur in a tomato.

All the genes in the apple arose through natural mutation over millions (billions) of years, and the ones that led to big fruit with a nice taste were 'collected' through natural pollination processes.

Before GM (which AFAIK can include interspecial transfer i.e., from one species of tomatoe to another as well as the interfamilial transfer described by HCR) the top industry technique was irradiation. Plants would be bombarded with radiation to induce mutations which could then be selectively bred into target crops. There was no way to even guess at the negative consequences as the mutations were random - some would be expressed in the phenotype and some wouldn't, but they'd still be there.

The anti-GM lobby happily grew up eating this food and lived to complain about the improvements to risk management that GM offers over the old system. :D