stihl 048 muffler

martin p

Both the 042 and 048 were not manufactured for a long period of time and were suppossedly removed from production because of case leaks due to design .The 048 at one time had the highest HP to displacement ratio of any saw which of course has been surpassed .

They list 4 different mufflers for the 048 plus one for the 042 but any will work which doesn't help in your quest for a muffler .Merely information .

Both the 042 and 048 share the basic design of the 028 and 038 but parts for either are rather scarce .Perhaps with alteration it might be possible to adapt a muffler from an 038 a fact of which I'm uncertain of without trying it .

Being the nice guy I am though I will make a trip to my shed and see if it is possible as I do have a saw to repair today .

Well Martin P the good news is the 038 cover can work the bad news being it must be adapted .The exhaust ports are the same size on both saws as well as the attachment screws being the same 42 mm spacing .

Two things that won't fit .First because of a protrubance of metal on the 048 as indicated by the scrench in the pic either a spacer must be fabricated to space out the muffler or the muffler side resculptured with a hammer or some other means .Secondly the bottom bolt holes will not align because the 038 muff is shorter than the 048 but a piece could be fabricated of alumiunm to rectify this problem depending on your fabrication skills .

In the other pic from left to right 028,038 magnum ,042 and far right 048 with a full wrap west coast handle ---good luck .

597662492066d_048muffler002.jpg.5e470009b8c85d7cffe8e59a7b64268f.jpg

597662491e874_048muffler001.jpg.cd2919eb9775544a2a1d9afbc9205189.jpg

Edited by Al Smith
Don't know my right from my left half the time

• 2 weeks later...

I aquired this saw for zero money, had been sitting in shed unused for over 20 years. fuel line, carb diaphrams, cylinder inlet had all perished.

I got all parts plus vibration mounts from German ebay, there is every part you need for this saw on their site. Or try US ebay.

The saw runs a treat!

Good spot that - there's no import duty payable from Germany, postage is cheap and there's even one up at the moment for a Euro!

Potentially of use, following the 048 thread last week, there's a used pot for sale - can't see the condition.

Alec