Girdled roots

David Humphries

...what in nature influences trees to girdle them self’s?

Some of the mature trees on this thread have adventurous roots growing round the buttress roots, why is this? does this mean the trees had no girdling when young but devolped them later on?

Yes ime many develop as a result of fill--soil added, i fnot in the nursery, then from erosion or more commonly human activities. :sneaky2:

Came across this big old girdler today that the oak seems to have rectified itself by the main stem exerting enough force that exceeds the tensional limits of the root. :thumbup1:

Interesting find Warren

I wonder whether this is purely a case where the growing tree has just dealt with the situation and the healthy dynamic buttress has won the battle or whether this being an old girdle whether there was ever any vascular dysfunction 'above' caused by the earlier constriction before the butress kicked butt

Would be an interesting study to have a look below ground at the lower part of this buttress to see if it has similar connective root tissue as its un-girdled neighbours

Interesting find Warren

I wonder whether this is purely a case where the growing tree has just dealt with the situation and the healthy dynamic buttress has won the battle or whether this being an old girdle whether there was ever any vascular dysfunction 'above' caused by the earlier constriction before the butress kicked butt

Would be an interesting study to have a look below ground at the lower part of this buttress to see if it has similar connective root tissue as its un-girdled neighbours

David, the optimist in me would like to think that the vascular pathways of the root above came off second best to the buttress, leading to weakness, dysfunction and then failure of the girdle.

Looking at the wound wood at the point of failure I would say that below it may be fairly well connected?

But yes it would be interesting to have a look at what's going on below ground with some soil removal but the tree is in a public park. Would take some convincing to allow, let alone pay for this exploratory work.

I am however hinting at the moment to the head gardener to put some work my way so who knows.

Warren

Looking at the wound wood at the point of failure I would say that below it may be fairly well connected?

Warren

Buttress and associated channel of the trunk show no particular dysfunction, but who knows for sure unless uncovered for a gander.

I am however hinting at the moment to the head gardener to put some work my way so who knows.

Warren

Always worth sowing the seeds, you never know when they may germinate.

Good luck with that :thumbup1:

By rectified I mean dealt with the constriction on the buttress by girdling root."

Understood--dealt with yes, rectified i.e. made right, not quite.

" An exploration of roots below ground would be interesting but why, when the tree is in fine health, go and create extra wounds for possible infection. Don't see that there's a need personally.

Warren, look at the infection court in the shredded ends of that root. Two neat pruning cuts further back would lessen the amount of exposed area.

2., trees respond quite readily to pruning in this basal region of high vascular activity. A generalized 'what if' should not inhibit a further attempt at true rectification, whilst finding out 'what is' in the bargain. :001_smile:

This made me wonder last week,

Are ped and Sandra still in love ?

I think its plain to see, that something with sinister intentions became entangled between ped & Sandra during the early part of the relationship & is now restricting the burgeoning embraces of our star struck lovers :001_rolleyes:

:lol: