fire wood store? Direction to face etc?

swinny

Just out of curiosity, how deep is your woodstore (in the picture) Woodworks?

Front to back?

I've kept mine to about 1m or three logs deep, accepting that the inner logs probably won't season as well.

DEAN.

The shed is 2.4 meters deep with 7 rows of logs with 75-100mm gaps between the rows to allow air circulation. We live in very wet and humid area and the logs are down to 25%-28% first year but ours dry for 2 years and they are normally down to 20%-25%. The front row is good to go in less than 1 as the sheds face south. We could leave our logs for 10 years and they will not get any drier than this because it is so wet here. This year has been so bad I don't think anything has got much below 25% :thumbdown:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but hopefully its relevant...

Woodworks - that's interesting because I'm just about to start building our second wood shed to alternate every two winters, thus allowing split wood to have about 18 months seasoning.

But the only place I can put it is on a low area of damp ground, not boggy, but definately moist underfoot. This area is also a bit sheltered as it sits about 10 foot below the adjacent paddock, against trees. So, its going to be humid.

The new wood shed was also going to be 2 - 2.4m deep, but I was worried about air getting to the middle. But if it works for you...

Do you find stacking the wood by species is a good idea? (if possible?).

DEAN.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but hopefully its relevant...

Woodworks - that's interesting because I'm just about to start building our second wood shed to alternate every two winters, thus allowing split wood to have about 18 months seasoning.

But the only place I can put it is on a low area of damp ground, not boggy, but definately moist underfoot. This area is also a bit sheltered as it sits about 10 foot below the adjacent paddock, against trees. So, its going to be humid.

The new wood shed was also going to be 2 - 2.4m deep, but I was worried about air getting to the middle. But if it works for you...

Do you find stacking the wood by species is a good idea? (if possible?).

DEAN.

Sorry never quite organised enough to stack by species but if you can have the sycamore and ash in the middle as they dry easily and oak and beech on the outer faces as they are slower drying. To help get good circulation put a the pallet on the floor. The other thing you should know is that the inner partitions have slats both sides of the uprights to aid air getting into middle of the bays. Your logs may take a bit more time to dry as it sounds like your shed is sheltered from the wind, our place is wet but also windy, don't under estimate how much a good breeze help logs to dry.