Changes to NPTC certification and courses

2 main 'triggers' for this change (as I see it...but I do sympathise with 'others' views)

1. Introduction of the new(ish) QCF (Qualifications and Credits Framework, which is a national framework for all industries quals etc.) which recognises certain NPTC quals are at a higher level than others, i.e. Cs31 = level 2 and Cs32 - level 3 (previously both were at level 2.)

2. Changes(?) in the relationship between NPTC (who are a 'brand' under City & Guilds, C&G) and Lantra Awards. The previous 'assessment' and 'training' bodies status, respectively, has now fundamentally changed. Both are independent and both can offer recognised quals, or rather 'Licences to Practice' (i feel a new 3 letter abbreviation coming on...) as there are now known.

Change is not always good but is does/should make us review and 'refresher training', partic in areas of significant advancement (climbing and rigging I would suggest), should be considered seriously. This should also include 'up-skilling' your felling tickets from Cs31 to Cs32, something we require probably 80% of contractors to do after they become 'ARB Approved', which, remember simply reflects regulatory compliance and industry good practice.

Thanks all..

Paul

Mmmm think it is a bit more complicated than that, all that follows is opinion, and I am happy to be corrected on points....

No Lantra update as yet unless I have missed it.

Problem has all started with defination of "independent" assessment. This no longer means 3rd party without a vested interest. It now means separate from the training.

So as long as the trainee is being told that he is being assessed, that is separate from the training, even though it is the same person assessing him.

OK it would appear Lantra & NPTC (or City and Guilds) are offering the same products, however, a current Lantra Trainer will have to do a "how to assess" course, cost £300+VAT even if he is a current NPTC Assessor. Ergo a current NPTC Assessor will have to do a 2 day "how to train and how to use a "Digi-pen"" course £300 + VAT for course and £300+VAT for pen (which actually increases the paperwork, but we won't go there!) The pen thing, is a joy to behold, not.

The only people to have a foot in both camps, are the Verifiers, most Trainers & Assessors who are both are likely to choose 1, or spend twice?

Also NPTC can't offer the insurance for the training element, so this has to be separate, and can't actually offer the training although sweeteners by Husky including vouchers for sucessful candidates, instruction manuals etc are part of the deal.

Why because the industry tells us via the NOS (National Occupational Standards) set by the Trees & Timber Group (??) that this is what we want

Ads & Disads, well chainsaw units will no longer be denoted by CS, possibly cheaper courses, trainees are hand-held until they become "competent" candidates, confusion of what qualifications mean what to employers/insurance industry/public & clients

2 main 'triggers' for this change (as I see it...but I do sympathise with 'others' views)

1. Introduction of the new(ish) QCF (Qualifications and Credits Framework, which is a national framework for all industries quals etc.) which recognises certain NPTC quals are at a higher level than others, i.e. Cs31 = level 2 and Cs32 - level 3 (previously both were at level 2.)

2. Changes(?) in the relationship between NPTC (who are a 'brand' under City & Guilds, C&G) and Lantra Awards. The previous 'assessment' and 'training' bodies status, respectively, has now fundamentally changed. Both are independent and both can offer recognised quals, or rather 'Licences to Practice' (i feel a new 3 letter abbreviation coming on...) as there are now known.

Change is not always good but is does/should make us review and 'refresher training', partic in areas of significant advancement (climbing and rigging I would suggest), should be considered seriously. This should also include 'up-skilling' your felling tickets from Cs31 to Cs32, something we require probably 80% of contractors to do after they become 'ARB Approved', which, remember simply reflects regulatory compliance and industry good practice.

Thanks all..

Paul

I did my 32 straight after my 31, it makes see the job totally different, it should be compulsory.:sneaky2: