How long to season pine from tree to stove?

with conifer and pine i always split it leave it to the eliments and then wen water has soaked it i then stack loosely in pallet frames to dry if airy its less likely to go mouldy.:)

Tree monkey, why leave it to the elements and let it soak prior to letting it dry, I assume you cover the top whilst leaving the sides reasonably open to let the air at it.

Tree monkey, why leave it to the elements and let it soak prior to letting it dry, I assume you cover the top whilst leaving the sides reasonably open to let the air at it.

the sap is thicker than the water in rain, so getting the wood wet displaces some of the sap therefore when drying there is less sap thus reducing the creosoting in the chimney .

The theory seems to work anyway.

The Theory of osmosis comes to play :)

the sap is thicker than the water in rain, so getting the wood wet displaces some of the sap therefore when drying there is less sap thus reducing the creosoting in the chimney .

That sounds logical, yeah I guess a bit of osmosis could be taking place, after all that's how plants and trees shift water don't they. Many thanks tree monkey, you obviously know your stuff!!

Its the heat level in the fire that is the key with creosote, too much water = not enough energy level left to get the fire hot enough to ignite the creosote. See my earlier post in this thread.

Process it, wack it straight into a barn or into top covered arb bags, you will be surprised how fast it dries down.

A

Its the heat level in the fire that is the key with creosote, too much water = not enough energy level left to get the fire hot enough to ignite the creosote. See my earlier post in this thread.

Process it, wack it straight into a barn or into top covered arb bags, you will be surprised how fast it dries down.

A

yes your right but the sap is dried out so it is still in the wood if you try and displace some of the sap with water. When the logs dry out the water will have evaporated and theoretically there will be less resin to cause the creosoting if temperatures are not high enough.