Decay dectection equipment

stevelucocq

Every item??

Attached .pdf is a decay detection list from “Wood and Tree Fungi: Biology, Damage, Protection and Use.” by Schmidt 2006 found in “Diagnosis and prognosis of the development of wood decay in urban trees” by Schwarze 2008.

How did you find the gamma ray computer tomography? Or the sniffer dogs?

:D

I got the sniffer dogs in when doing some survey work in Keswick, the problem was there was a couple of nice looking bitch's near by and thats all the dog was interested in. :001_tongue:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the sniffer dogs in when doing some survey work in Keswick, the problem was there was a couple of nice looking bitch's near by and thats all the dog was interested in. :001_tongue:

:D doh!

My last encounter with sniffer dogs didn't really do me any good.

Best stick to the mallet/picus/chin scratching technique.

Just a few points to clarify.

You can use thermal imaging to measure residual wall thickness but the problem is if you do this you are going down the route of complex models based on complex visualisations and analysis of residual wall dimensions and these are prone to big errors. Also cross-sectional wall thickness does not explain the majority of failures.

It is better to look at cross-sectional functional wood and positional relative dysfunction. Firstly it easier to get a robust statistical model of the relationship between these and the rate of element failure (ie root plate, stem, limb etc). Secondly trees do not fail because of decay. The process is generaly slower than growth in healthy trees, therefore trees fail because of inherent poor structural integrity that promotes an accelerated decay process, inherent structure that renders trees prone to failure or a tree that is stressed and cannot combat the decay process. In addition to this it is wind and gravity that ultimately cause the tree to fail so position of the tree in the environment and structure are important.

This is why I got into thermal imaging in the first place, because it ultimately allows an analysis of the balace of health and decay.

PS it is not as expensive as people seem to think

A de3cent TI camera is going to set you back 12k + , then the training. I have just sent 2x cad technicans on a course costing the biz £850, thats reasonable, i was quoted about 1k per person for the trai9ning for thermal imaging, in my book thatb is quite a bit of money and like i said in aprevious post is there really the money and opportuity out there to recoup these costs :confused1:

:D

My last encounter with sniffer dogs didn't really do me any good. Doh!

Where's this goin' then......?

Baron von "Sorenson"...drug dealer extaordinaire..:001_tongue:

or maybe you jus got some sort of "bitch" thing goin' on bro'........you wanna be be a bit careful what you say ......:scared1:

Follow the link to find excellent info & case studies by Mattheck / Schwarze and others relating to IML products along with other interesting bits and pieces... hope it helps.

http://www.imlusa.com/html/downloads.html

Might pop it on the ISA Online Journal threat too...

Edited by Amelanchier
JML make can openers and folding steps for woolys. :D

Regarding costs, to get started its only £750 to get trained (two day course)and you can hire cameras for around £100-£150 a day. There are some ongoing training costs but we cover these on pay as you go basis at around £10 a tree. We are now running courses around the UK to remove the travel and overnight costs people had if they came to us.