Unimog Hire SW

samarb

to be honest it is totally dependent on where you want to take your business , i own a k plate mog that i have spent almost 15k on in the last two years (excluding tyres and servicing) i need to be able to rely on it as thee is work booked in for that machine 5/6 days a week every week , if it breaks down i need to be prepared to throw any amount o money at it to ensure that its back working asap ! - this in its self is hard enough with an experienced mog fitter with all the kit needed and more . A new mog is computerized and is not anywhere near as easy to work on unless your a dealer , recently i spoke to a fitter who has a 5000 series on his fleet that carried an insulated boomed mewp , the driver was dropping Tyre pressure before selecting a low gear to get through a gateway into a field when the air pressure dropped and spat out a gear . That mog was off of the road 4 almost 5 weeks while the dealer worked through the problem , im not totally sure if the fitter was right but he claimed that the gearbox has no less than 3 computers working it (this may include splitter box, transfer box etcetc) this cost the firm 15k in lost works and several thousand getting the problem sorted .

you can see that both can cost you a serious amount of money to keep on the road and unless you have guaranteed work for it from day one i would be really careful before investing 5060 k on a second hand mog,chipper and timber trailer or upward of 100k if you wanna go brand new .

I really dont want to put you off at all but i would not wanna lie to you and tell you how great it is to own a mog etc

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest it is totally dependent on where you want to take your business , i own a k plate mog that i have spent almost 15k on in the last two years (excluding tyres and servicing) i need to be able to rely on it as thee is work booked in for that machine 5/6 days a week every week , if it breaks down i need to be prepared to throw any amount o money at it to ensure that its back working asap ! - this in its self is hard enough with an experienced mog fitter with all the kit needed and more . A new mog is computerized and is not anywhere near as easy to work on unless your a dealer , recently i spoke to a fitter who has a 5000 series on his fleet that carried an insulated boomed mewp , the driver was dropping Tyre pressure before selecting a low gear to get through a gateway into a field when the air pressure dropped and spat out a gear . That mog was off of the road 4 almost 5 weeks while the dealer worked through the problem , im not totally sure if the fitter was right but he claimed that the gearbox has no less than 3 computers working it (this may include splitter box, transfer box etcetc) this cost the firm 15k in lost works and several thousand getting the problem sorted .

you can see that both can cost you a serious amount of money to keep on the road and unless you have guaranteed work for it from day one i would be really careful before investing 5060 k on a second hand mog,chipper and timber trailer or upward of 100k if you wanna go brand new .

I really dont want to put you off at all but i would not wanna lie to you and tell you how great it is to own a mog etc

The idea behind owning mog is turning 5 trips back to site into 1, having 2 vans and mog instead of 110 tipper, transit tipper and van, public image and expansion into small forestry works. I average 600 miles a week at the moment if I can even half that I'll be happy. I currently have use for tracked chipper and hope mog may be better answer. My current budget is 50k can go more but will mean a lot of extra borrowing so i need to show I can pay for it. One thing I don't want is unrealibility and 10k plus a year in maintence costs. I'm in a position where I can take the business forward in a big way but need to get it right from word go and because of my dithering on progression I am running a very small set up at the moment.

The idea behind owning mog is turning 5 trips back to site into 1, having 2 vans and mog instead of 110 tipper, transit tipper and van, public image and expansion into small forestry works. I average 600 miles a week at the moment if I can even half that I'll be happy. I currently have use for tracked chipper and hope mog may be better answer. My current budget is 50k can go more but will mean a lot of extra borrowing so i need to show I can pay for it. One thing I don't want is unrealibility and 10k plus a year in maintence costs. I'm in a position where I can take the business forward in a big way but need to get it right from word go and because of my dithering on progression I am running a very small set up at the moment.

I doubt people would pay much for a mog and chipper, a mog with a good long reach crane on the other hand...... but then I can hire a 20ton metre hiab lorry for £40 an hour so there isnt a huge market there either. If you want a mog get one, they are cool.

Your local competitors arent going to want to put work your way, especially if you have a mog which gives them an inferiority complex..

I doubt people would pay much for a mog and chipper, a mog with a good long reach crane on the other hand...... but then I can hire a 20ton metre hiab lorry for £40 an hour so there isnt a huge market there either. If you want a mog get one, they are cool.

Your local competitors arent going to want to put work your way, especially if you have a mog which gives them an inferiority complex..

Sam,you sound like you are in a good position financially and equipement wise.

So what you are doing in business works, if you have never owned or operated a Mog, no paperwork excercise will ever show you .

Just buy 1 and crack on, their awesome! Spend £20k on a u1200 with winch and chipper. Keep the rest of your money and crack on.

It's a steering wheel and pedals, keep it for your own jobs and integrate it with you current kit and see how it goes

Sam,you sound like you are in a good position financially and equipement wise.

So what you are doing in business works, if you have never owned or operated a Mog, no paperwork excercise will ever show you .

Just buy 1 and crack on, their awesome! Spend £20k on a u1200 with winch and chipper. Keep the rest of your money and crack on.

It's a steering wheel and pedals, keep it for your own jobs and integrate it with you current kit and see how it goes

Thanks Stephen, it's true that this year has been quite good to me but it comes with accute awareness that it could all end with a drop of the hat. I managed to have a chat with Alex from a.c.price at apf and plan to head up there in next few weeks. I did like look of U20 but did not get price. It's going to be be a funny year for me as I want to go bigger with out loosing the attention to detail or customer service. I personally feel mog will certainly bring in bigger contracts but don't want it sat there while we chuck grass clippings in the back. £20k sounds very cheap considering that's what it would cost for a new 110 or transit tipper arb spec. To Tom D I only really want to operate outside my normal zone and offer smaller companies the chance to run kit I dreamed of when starting up, but hire may be more hassle than it is worth.

Thanks Stephen, it's true that this year has been quite good to me but it comes with accute awareness that it could all end with a drop of the hat. I managed to have a chat with Alex from a.c.price at apf and plan to head up there in next few weeks. I did like look of U20 but did not get price. It's going to be be a funny year for me as I want to go bigger with out loosing the attention to detail or customer service. I personally feel mog will certainly bring in bigger contracts but don't want it sat there while we chuck grass clippings in the back. £20k sounds very cheap considering that's what it would cost for a new 110 or transit tipper arb spec. To Tom D I only really want to operate outside my normal zone and offer smaller companies the chance to run kit I dreamed of when starting up, but hire may be more hassle than it is worth.