Unimog Hire SW

samarb

Im currently running a business plan into getting a mog, actual model to be decided further down the line. A part of this plan is to offer it out for hire, again a bit sketchy but plan to hire it out with chipper, chip taken away, timber trailer with grab and operator (again can take wood away or deliver to site) with basic tickets and rescue. I am thinking about £400 per day plus £1 per mile traveling. I will be aiming to attract customers unable to take on larger jobs due to resources and will provide mog un sign written and theoretically to most of uk but want to base it locally if possible. Can anyone let me know if this is A of interest and B financially acceptable. Cheers

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im currently running a business plan into getting a mog, actual model to be decided further down the line. A part of this plan is to offer it out for hire, again a bit sketchy but plan to hire it out with chipper, chip taken away, timber trailer with grab and operator (again can take wood away or deliver to site) with basic tickets and rescue. I am thinking about £400 per day plus £1 per mile traveling. I will be aiming to attract customers unable to take on larger jobs due to resources and will provide mog un sign written and theoretically to most of uk but want to base it locally if possible. Can anyone let me know if this is A of interest and B financially acceptable. Cheers

1, you will need to earn closer to £1000 day plus vat.

2, do you think established businesses will trust you to do the job properly, efficiently and not try and take their customers.

3. You will need capital of £25k sitting in the bank to cover cash flow to run the business.

4. Does anyone else locally have this kit already?

5. Have you ever operated this type of machinery ?

6. If you have work booked in and you get break downs, do you have other kit to bring in to complete contracts.

7. You will need a very good mechanic and Agricultural engineer at your disposal.

That's about 1% of things you may need to know.:)

1, you will need to earn closer to £1000 day plus vat.

2, do you think established businesses will trust you to do the job properly, efficiently and not try and take their customers.

3. You will need capital of £25k sitting in the bank to cover cash flow to run the business.

4. Does anyone else locally have this kit already?

5. Have you ever operated this type of machinery ?

6. If you have work booked in and you get break downs, do you have other kit to bring in to complete contracts.

7. You will need a very good mechanic and Agricultural engineer at your disposal.

That's about 1% of things you may need to know.:)

As Steve has said above it can be a real nightmare and bottomless pit of money owning a mog ! , i would also be mindful of the complications surrounding hauling timber for a client - im not overly sure that this would not get into the realms of running on an O license , if i were to arrange a large job and bring in such a service i would expect it to turn up no matter what and breakdowns would not be my problem ! for instance a crane job booked in with 5 men on site , road closures and area closed off etc etc if the contractor canceled last minute i would expect either a second mog,chipper and timber trailer to turn up or i would be looking to be compensated for my outlay .

as steve has said you will need at least 25k sitting in the bank for such occasions .

As Steve has said above it can be a real nightmare and bottomless pit of money owning a mog ! , i would also be mindful of the complications surrounding hauling timber for a client - im not overly sure that this would not get into the realms of running on an O license , if i were to arrange a large job and bring in such a service i would expect it to turn up no matter what and breakdowns would not be my problem ! for instance a crane job booked in with 5 men on site , road closures and area closed off etc etc if the contractor canceled last minute i would expect either a second mog,chipper and timber trailer to turn up or i would be looking to be compensated for my outlay .

as steve has said you will need at least 25k sitting in the bank for such occasions .

Thanks Stephen, thanks for input am very new to mog approach to things so am very open to input from guys who know the business. Can you follow up on a few points. 1. Why £1000 plus per day 2. The idea is not to operate within my specific area but can see the temptation. 3. The idea of buying mog is that I have two solid days a week operating on my own business, but can use it more at less than optimum efficiency. 4. One man within 30 miles and is not a competitor and to my knowledge does not hire mog out. 5. I have personally had no experience with this machinery but my father is very competent in driving mogs but not wning mogs and for first year I will almost be his apprentice in this. 6. For personal works I have access to tractor and trailers but for hire side there is no contingencies for work over 50 miles from my base. 7. I have a full time agricultal engineer at disposal who will travel to wherever I am working, has extensive knowledge of older jogs but not newest models. Appreciate anymore information you may offer.

Thanks Stephen, thanks for input am very new to mog approach to things so am very open to input from guys who know the business. Can you follow up on a few points. 1. Why £1000 plus per day 2. The idea is not to operate within my specific area but can see the temptation. 3. The idea of buying mog is that I have two solid days a week operating on my own business, but can use it more at less than optimum efficiency. 4. One man within 30 miles and is not a competitor and to my knowledge does not hire mog out. 5. I have personally had no experience with this machinery but my father is very competent in driving mogs but not wning mogs and for first year I will almost be his apprentice in this. 6. For personal works I have access to tractor and trailers but for hire side there is no contingencies for work over 50 miles from my base. 7. I have a full time agricultal engineer at disposal who will travel to wherever I am working, has extensive knowledge of older jogs but not newest models. Appreciate anymore information you may offer.

Understand your point, I expect the same when hiring any equipment. Is there any advantage buying a new mog over second hand, btw at this point it would be interesting to find out the pros of buying new vs old. This all needs including in business pan.

Understand your point, I expect the same when hiring any equipment. Is there any advantage buying a new mog over second hand, btw at this point it would be interesting to find out the pros of buying new vs old. This all needs including in business pan.