Bulk firewood wanted N.Lancs

County4x4

Hi all,

I'm getting asked by more and more chimney customers all the time if I can supply them with decent firewood, and I'm forever hearing the story of "we had a couple of good loads off this guy, but the last lot he bought us were rubbish"

My basic feeling is that if I recommend someone and they deliver a bad load, then it kind of reflects on me even if we're entirely unconnected. So I'm figuring the best way forward is to try and look after them myself. I'm going in to some commercial glasshouses with a good buddy and so I'm thinking that buying in by the artic load, and then completing the drying process if necessary under glass, or one of the polytunnels on site, might be the best way forward.

Is there anyone close to the Lancs/Cumbria/N.Yorks border who could possibly supply processed wood in bulk, either loose or bagged? We'd be looking for artic loads and hopefully from not too far away to keep the transport costs down.

Cheers for any help!

Andy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply mate. Don't know the exact postcode of the property yet as my mate is still working out the details with the agents - but LA2 7AG is pretty nearby and should be close enough to figure out a cost. I'm guessing the distance involved is going to put a fair dent in any profits though - we're a fair hike from your neck of the woods. But thanks for looking in any case - appreciated!

Andy

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply mate. Don't know the exact postcode of the property yet as my mate is still working out the details with the agents - but LA2 7AG is pretty nearby and should be close enough to figure out a cost. I'm guessing the distance involved is going to put a fair dent in any profits though - we're a fair hike from your neck of the woods. But thanks for looking in any case - appreciated!

Andy

Come on then John - give it to us straight!! Obviously the price is going to be the biggest factor - as if the local market won't stand the price then it's just not worth bothering with - at least not buying in processed. If not then we may look at buying a processor - or leave it altogether as we have enough other stuff to be getting on with.

The glasshouses seem pretty sturdy to be honest - they've been out of use for quite a while - apart from when some scallies started up their own little enterprise growing weed - but I think there are only one or two broken panes in the whole lot. The polytunnels by comparison have had it - and the whole lot would need re-covering if we took them on as well. I think if we took them we'd probably never sleep if it got windy as it's quite an exposed spot!

Come on then John - give it to us straight!! Obviously the price is going to be the biggest factor - as if the local market won't stand the price then it's just not worth bothering with - at least not buying in processed. If not then we may look at buying a processor - or leave it altogether as we have enough other stuff to be getting on with.

The glasshouses seem pretty sturdy to be honest - they've been out of use for quite a while - apart from when some scallies started up their own little enterprise growing weed - but I think there are only one or two broken panes in the whole lot. The polytunnels by comparison have had it - and the whole lot would need re-covering if we took them on as well. I think if we took them we'd probably never sleep if it got windy as it's quite an exposed spot!