Off work for abit, am i entitled to benefits?

Tree Man Tom

So i managed to cut my hand open the other day, not work related, just one of those stupid things. 12 stiches in the palm of my hand and god knows how long off work, need to wait for my strength to come back in my hand aswell as letting the injury heal so i can grip ropes etc...

Im self employed so obviously no sick pay, are there any benefits i can get?

Cheers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Tom, get down your Job Centre +, if you've paid your dues properly you should be entitled to ESA. If you're a family man then other benefits come into play as well, they are trained to give you what you need. Did you have an accident policy, then claim on that too, it will not affect your benefits. I have just been on the benefits system for the bestnpart of this year, rent and council tax paid, help with heating costs the whole lot. You will be means tested, you may be required a medical at the Job Centres request, to one of their docs, but if you're off long term that's the least of your worries. I had ESA for about 7 months, I never thought I was entitled to anything being s/e. Hope this is a help

Ps, I didn't know jack about claiming, they sat there and said you get this amount, pressed a button on the computer and it was there like magic. So I don't think you need to worry

Edited by Andy Collins

Ok Tom, get down your Job Centre +, if you've paid your dues properly you should be entitled to ESA. If you're a family man then other benefits come into play as well, they are trained to give you what you need. Did you have an accident policy, then claim on that too, it will not affect your benefits. I have just been on the benefits system for the bestnpart of this year, rent and council tax paid, help with heating costs the whole lot. You will be means tested, you may be required a medical at the Job Centres request, to one of their docs, but if you're off long term that's the least of your worries. I had ESA for about 7 months, I never thought I was entitled to anything being s/e. Hope this is a help

Ps, I didn't know jack about claiming, they sat there and said you get this amount, pressed a button on the computer and it was there like magic. So I don't think you need to worry

Well every day is a school day. Was there a minimum time you had to be off before you could claim? Was it you couldn't do your current job vs. not being able to work at all? (I know you were not good at all, no need for specifics).

Take no notice of the nay Sayers, they are wrong. You have paid in, claim it. The last thing you need to worry about is bills when things go wrong. I know. I lived off my savings, then emptied my over draft through ignorance, my insurance paid out, but it doesn't cover every single bill and costs. The system is there to help you, not to be misused, but when you really need it it is there. There is no shame in claiming.