New petrol lawn mower advice please

Mike-H

I would really appreciate some advice from the professionals around here.

I have a garden that is approximately 2 tennis courts in size at the back with a front garden of approximately half a tennis court. There are about 8 trees to steer around, a couple of gentle slopes and a few areas that are a bit bumpy.

I currently have an old Honda 194 but as the blade is now bent into the aluminium frame (hidden metal bracket in long grass – I blame the wife), a wheel is hanging off and the rota stop has failed, its time for a new lawn mower.

As it is for private use only am I correct in thinking a four wheel rotary petrol mower would be my best option? If so I have been looking at a few options and would appreciate your opinions (professional or otherwise).

People seem to rate the Honda mowers and I liked my old one (may it RIP). In the £400-500 price range I have seen the Honda HRG465SD. However, it lacks variable speed and I have read that it operates at a slowish walking pace (I prefer to get a move on), it does not have rota stop allowing the engine to idle while I move kids toys, empty the box etc., and it has a steel deck which I assume will rust faster.

There is the Hayter Motif 53 Autodrive which is simlar to the Honda but again has not variable speed or the Hayter R53 which seems to offer extra speed and is also available (for more money) with an aluminium deck.

I have also found a Hayter Ranger 53 Pro at £600 which appears to be an older model. This has an aluminium deck with adjustable speed. I have seen mixed reports about Hayter with people questioning the build quality. However, Hayter do offer 3 year guarantees and lifetime guarantees on the blade shaft/thingy.

There are so many mowers on the market and some makes I have never heard of like Toro, Wolf etc.

I know I can tick all the boxes by spending £1000 on a Honda, but for mowing the lawn once every two weeks this seems a lot of money.

An online retailer has suggested the Toro 20897 which ticks the boxes but I do not know anything about this brand or their reliability. (it has a 5 year guarantee if I service it)

I would really appreciate your opinions on this. If I have £400 to £600 to spend on a petrol mower what would you recommend? Should I buy a honda with lower spec for reliability or is the Hayter or Toro a good choice?

Fingers crossed you nice people will offer some advice.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another one to think of is alko mowers, I love ours and thinking about buying a second one. We started to grass cutting this year after a few clients as if we do it so went out looking around and for the money and features that came with it i was over the moon. dose a good job every time and comes with a guarantee of 3+years and replacement. Its been used 4 days a week for 5 months now starts every time no matter what.

http://www.alkogarden.co.uk/product/al-ko-4800brv-alu-powerline.aspx