Lantra Professional Tree Inspection course.

Tim Williams

Seeings as its you sir.....I can see (perhaps ) your confusion on account of my last sentence....

i refer you to the first line in my last post....id is from actual fruit bodies.....reference may be used ( ie books ) from which a determination may be made as to the true identity.

T.

Seeings as its you sir.....I can see (perhaps ) your confusion on account of my last sentence....

i refer you to the first line in my last post....id is from actual fruit bodies.....reference may be used ( ie books ) from which a determination may be made as to the true identity.

T.

I was hoping this was the case, and that we were not having a situation where nice fluffy pictures of photogenic Fb's are being used to determine the extent of an inspectors fungal knowledge :scared1:

Cheers Tim

Mmm...As far as I can see , the test situation, whist not ideal, is as good a way as any to reflect situations as they are in the real world....

Before you all start whinging that the crustaceous specimens are " not like the books "...get over it." I too didnt get them all right...I could explain this away to myself, and infact I have....but in truth the specimens looked so much like they would in the real world( whatever that means ) that to get a ganoderma wrong was unforgivable....just stop beating yourself up Tim.

I really cant see how to avoid the test scenario...if you accept the need for a certain knowledge, it shows you the way in terms of how to seek out the facts...an open book system.

Pass or fail, I enjoyed the 3 day seminar/workshop. I too reiterate that you will gain alot from attending without taking the paper, hence my comment that it is a decent training opportunity....Ben, I understand your comment and concur with your intended meaning!!

Happy new year people±

You will learn stuff on the PTI, and the way they like reports to be layed out makes sense. It is worth doing if you have the relevant experience, but I think there is a place in the market to be taught tree inspection, the PTI course does not set out to do this.

The fungi ident bit, is IMO difficult. Dried up upside down crusty fungi you've not come across in the real world are almost impossible to ID from the pictures in books. If you get the fungi wrong you also lose all the marks for the type of decay, hosts etc. In the real world if you found a fungi you couldn't identify you could get help (arbtalk) or act as the worst case so I'm not sure the weighting of fungi ident is realistic..

If you get the fungi wrong you also lose all the marks for the type of decay, hosts etc. In the real world if you found a fungi you couldn't identify you could get help (arbtalk) or act as the worst case so I'm not sure the weighting of fungi ident is realistic..

that was my sentiment exactly.

the fungi id part of the assessment i did wasn't open book at all. you needed to know it. all of it. you could use the book whilst doing the vta part of the assessment. luckily i had been practising my reading skills for that part.

the fungi id part of the assessment i did wasn't open book at all. you needed to know it....... luckily i had been practising my reading skills for that part.

:confused1: That does seem to change it somewhat....As I posted b4, it is not like this if you do the course with Treelife...David Dowson designed the course I was informed and delivers the 3 day workshop.

As each fungus, type of decay, strategy and where/when it appears on the tree is relevant to tree inspection, it is included. 4 x fungus= 20% therefore each fungus=5%.......no big thing really!

I did question Treelife about this aspect of the technical award and feel that the nature of the assessment was as necessary as it was sensible in its format.

Perhaps you should take up the issue with LANTRA or the providers if it has not been delivered properly:ohmy:

to be honest i did the course more than a year ago, and they seem to have changed it since, at least they have changed the way it is marketed, i don't have a level 3 qualification and wasn't told i needed it. now they are reccomending it. a good thing methinks. it was very interesting and informative though, if only from a pre climb inspection point of view. i think parts of it could be incorperated into cs 41. it would make sense.

• 1 year later...
This is the list you need to know, good luck with it, the exam part is'nt too bad the only thing is is if you miss a major hazard like one of these fungi or a large hanger or defect its a straight fail.

hi- sorry to bother you, ive just passed the basic assesment and am doing the next course in may and i really would like to know the fungis i need to revise but the link isnt working

would you be so kind to tell me where you got it from or if you could email it to [email protected] that would be super

thank you very much ciaran glyde

MR bundle to clarify I already have a national diploma in countryside management (merit), HNC in small woodland management and arboriculture and 6 years experience as a senior climber and 10 years working in both amenity trees and the utillity sector, so while I do not have a degree I am suitably qualified, I also have a thirst for knowledge and do a lot of reading off my own back.

I think it's refreshing to see a public authority that has employed someone for their experience and suitability rather than qualifications alone:001_smile: