ancestry.co.uk

TimberCutterDartmoor

I've been signed up for about 6 years now, and have found mountains of fascinating information. Just waiting for a marriage certificate I ordered on Saturday as it happens. Although I've gone back hundreds of years on some lines (Cornwall, Essex, Kent, North Yorkshire, Cumbria, Scotland - real Heinz 57, me) my paternal line has been stuck at my great x 3 grandfather, born about 1812 for years now. I'm thinking of hiring a pro to try for a breakthrough, but I'm not 100% they'll have any more luck than me.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked into my family background a while ago. I used findmypast.co.uk. Luckily for me, I soon got in touch with people who had done all the leg work already. I only got back to the 1700's for a few lines, and as none of my family were that high up socially, so it gets a lot harder once the census data runs out.

It's been interesting. I once lived in one city for 13 years, not realising that I was living 10 mins walk away from my gt gt gt grandfather's grave.

You can sometimes get access to findmypast or ancestry for free at the local library, depending on which county you live in. Some counties and towns run good heritage centres, with lots of records. I managed to get free access to findmypast 1911 census records - worth looking at, but findmypast really gouge you for the privelege.

It's funny when coincidences turn up, but probably not surprising really. My brother lives in Cork (he moved there to be with his wife, the family isn't Irish) and his son was christened in a random rural church in Ballincollig. Shortly afterwards I found out that my great grandather's brother was christened in the same church while his father was stationed there with the army.

Spent about 4 hours on the 'phone last night to a descendant of my grandmothers adoptive parents! Now trying to find real parents - phoned the herefordshire records office this morning who were hopeful given adoption records only began in 1927, just because I had a name!!! Where the hell did I come from!!! :001_rolleyes:

• 9 months later...