landrover discovery 3

markstuarttosdevine

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what would you get for towing a 20ft ifor with 2.5 tonne on the back then?

HI MARK its all down to how much cash have you got to spend but then i no chap who has a toyota there very good our D3 was 1 year old and his toyota was 10 years old and it was far better then the d3 keep your cash but if you like to lose it buy a D3 its up to you all the best jon :thumbup:

Sorry Guys, got to disagree. I've run three since 2006. One manual and two autos. Get 28 mpg driving normally and 26 towing a well loaded trailer. Haven't had any real problems with any. Still have the two autos, ones done nearly 80k.

I use an excellent local independent Landy garage and service to normal schedule and drive hard in between. I know the forums are full of bad press but I must speak as I find. I'd buy another without question.

Sorry Guys, got to disagree. I've run three since 2006. One manual and two autos. Get 28 mpg driving normally and 26 towing a well loaded trailer. Haven't had any real problems with any. Still have the two autos, ones done nearly 80k.

I use an excellent local independent Landy garage and service to normal schedule and drive hard in between. I know the forums are full of bad press but I must speak as I find. I'd buy another without question.

HI RICHARD re 26mpg towing a well loaded trailer our 1 year old HSE towing our caravan only does 19/20 mpg IM SORRY MATE but how can you get 26mpg towing a well loaded trailer down hill for 10 miles out of gear thats the only way our 90 TD5 WITH 200HP and lots more TQ then D3 your pulling my leg mate :sneaky2:jon :thumbup:

It's not really the landy that's the problem. It's the added IMO un needed electronics they have bolted on and changed from the other discos. The auto parking brake for one, plus the parking brake being integrated into the rear discs was also a bad move.

The gearbox is also and issue, I've known some to be knackerd but then all disco gearboxes have a habit of breaking. The disco 3 gearbox will break a circlip and it will be unable to get it into reverse, this is on the manual gearbox. The auto is also known to break not being able to select first or third.

The other gearbox issue on the manual is second gear on early models was known to fail due to a messup with the process in making the gears, this as far as I'm aware has been sorted on newer models and gearboxes.

The brakes also cause issues of there own, squeelling noises when they get dirty and needing to be taken apart cleaned and copper eased to stop the noise.

These problems seem to effect some discos but not all. Is it worth the risk. I know what it's like to be without a vehicle for a few weeks as I'm sure do many, and what a pain in the rear it is.

HI RICHARD re 26mpg towing a well loaded trailer our 1 year old HSE towing our caravan only does 19/20 mpg IM SORRY MATE but how can you get 26mpg towing a well loaded trailer down hill for 10 miles out of gear thats the only way our 90 TD5 WITH 200HP and lots more TQ then D3 your pulling my leg mate :sneaky2:jon :thumbup:

No mate, not pulling your leg, an ifor Williams tipping 16footer fully loaded. D3 has a performance chip and will sit in higher gears all day. Why would I need or want to pull your leg?

It's not really the landy that's the problem. It's the added IMO un needed electronics they have bolted on and changed from the other discos. The auto parking brake for one, plus the parking brake being integrated into the rear discs was also a bad move.

The gearbox is also and issue, I've known some to be knackerd but then all disco gearboxes have a habit of breaking. The disco 3 gearbox will break a circlip and it will be unable to get it into reverse, this is on the manual gearbox. The auto is also known to break not being able to select first or third.

The other gearbox issue on the manual is second gear on early models was known to fail due to a messup with the process in making the gears, this as far as I'm aware has been sorted on newer models and gearboxes.

The brakes also cause issues of there own, squeelling noises when they get dirty and needing to be taken apart cleaned and copper eased to stop the noise.

These problems seem to effect some discos but not all. Is it worth the risk. I know what it's like to be without a vehicle for a few weeks as I'm sure do many, and what a pain in the rear it is.

HI RICH your right there on gear boxes mate i no a chap had a new d3 he had 3 manual gearboxes in and the brakes are just not up to the job mate like you said jon :thumbup:

No mate, not pulling your leg, an ifor Williams tipping 16footer fully loaded. D3 has a performance chip and will sit in higher gears all day. Why would I need or want to pull your leg?

HI RICHARD sorry but I've had 2 D3 and ours was just no good on fuel towing what remap have you got i no the the new twin turbo are better on fuel for towing so what HP AND TQ is your thanks jon :thumbup:

I always wondered how many garages had just replaced a gearbox with the reverse issue as its a 0.12p fix to sort.

Did think about going round the scrappy and picking a few up sorting the problem and selling them on. :lol:

HI RICH yes CWS has loads of D3 in the scrappy land rover just build like a AUDI FAR BETTER :thumbup1:jon :thumbup: