life affirming

sycamorephobic

i was on the end of a lowering line the other day. the load (big big load, best part of a ton- heavy gum as well) drifted more than expected and smashed a big branch off along its course which sent it hurtling toward me. there was five turns on the portawrap and i instinctively hit the deck and held that rope for dear life. i would have let go and legged it if i had anywhere to go but there was a bucket truck right behind me. anyway the load swung about a foot over my head, slowly lost its momentum before hitting the truck and swinging the other way. i then let go and the section thumped to the floor.

i came seriously close to being creamed that day and it was easily the scariest thing that has ever happened to me in this job. my eyes where like piss holes in the snow afterwards. but as ridiculously stupid as it sounds i got a serious buzz out of it through a heightened sense of being alive.

we were all having a good day before that, having a laugh and enjoying the work which is probably why it happened as we where all a bit off guard and not concentrating enough. myself, the truck and the pully where all positioned in a silly place even though it looked right at the time. never had any issues with lowering operations in the past and it made me realise just how dodgy it can be if youre not fully switched on to whats happening.

in some ways im glad it happened because it will never happen again with possible worse consequnces. defo gonna stay a bit more frosty from now on

anyways sorry if that bored anyone, just thought id share it with you.

To drop a load approaching a ton in weight on the rigging is, imo, more than a little foolhardy to say the least. If nothing goes wrong you are already working close to the limit for a static load, let alone the forces its under when things get moving. Of course I dont know what equipment you were using but given that things went a little awry you must have been pushing it. Unfortunately, its our own confidence and ability that can put us into a dangerous situation such as this, and luckily you all got away with it. Take care mate. :001_smile:

in my experience, someone saying they were lowering a tonne, was probably more like 250kgs max. But i wasnt there. Anyway, the point you were making was incredibly valid. Risk assessment can only tell you so much, there is always something not accounted for and will teach you a lesson. We are all still learning and none off us will ever know everything, or be able to foresee everything.

Concentration is vital. especially whilst collecting timber out of the sky.