New member looking for advice

ChriswrMiller

Hi all

I've tried to read up on the FAQ and the forum rules but please forgive me if i post in the wrong place or haven't seen a blindly obvious thread/section that would cover the contents of this one.

Basically I've worked in a garden centre for 6 years and I'm hating retail, I've really wanted to get into arboriculture for a while and I'm only just getting round to it. The way i see it, i have two options, try and find an apprenticeship where i can work my way up from the bottom (which i have no problems with), or going to my local college and doing the 2 day chainsaw use on the ground course there.

My understanding is that this will probably be needed in most instances, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Christian Miller

Aldershot/Guildford/Hampshire Area

If its nptc, get the tickets, more desirable to an employer.

Ask around any companies in your area, explain it and see what happens, you will start as a brash dragger either way.

If you don't ask you don't get.

Rich2484, read your first job thread, well done mate you will make it, keep being persistant.:thumbup:

If its nptc, get the tickets, more desirable to an employer.

Ask around any companies in your area, explain it and see what happens, you will start as a brash dragger either way.

If you don't ask you don't get.

I must emphasise this post is from being there, I knew nothing about arb about 7 to 10 yr ago. I was a mechanic who worked on a farm, met an arb and asked for some part time work, done a week dragging brash, and today I done my first own job.

If you really want it you can make it happen.

Hi all

I've tried to read up on the FAQ and the forum rules but please forgive me if i post in the wrong place or haven't seen a blindly obvious thread/section that would cover the contents of this one.

Basically I've worked in a garden centre for 6 years and I'm hating retail, I've really wanted to get into arboriculture for a while and I'm only just getting round to it. The way i see it, i have two options, try and find an apprenticeship where i can work my way up from the bottom (which i have no problems with), or going to my local college and doing the 2 day chainsaw use on the ground course there.

My understanding is that this will probably be needed in most instances, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Christian Miller

Christain, both your ideas to a first start are good. if your able go for the brash dragging for a kick off take the oppertunity when it comes. Best of luck.

Thanks for the speedy replies everyone, I've had a look into the courses at my local college, Merrist Wood College in Hampshire and this course, Chainsaw Use, Maintenance and Felling.

However i see that it doesn't actually include the assessment afterwards, it might be best to give them a ring tomorrow and actually work out the full cost of the course i need to get me started.

Both are a good idea but you would still need to start at the bottom and work your up.

Lets say i need a chainsaw operator, I am going to get one who has worked with chainsaws for sometime. Then if I need a dragger I could get someone like you. If you came to me the week after doing a chainsaw course I could let you cut the odd piece here and there but I wouldnt rely on you as a chainsaw operator if that makes sense.

Getting some kind of job first is always a good idea, if you cant do that then a chainsaw ticket is unlikely to help. Folk will say they have no work for you without tickets but what they really mean is they have no work for you, because if they needed a chainsaw operator they would get someone else anyway.

Hey Chris,

I would recommend finding a course that includes the assessment, should be cheaper than separate booking and less chance of a lengthy time between training and test.

If you've been having a look round the forum you can probably pick up on the fact that times are tough in arb (same as elsewhere except banking possibly?) and its a tough enough game to get into (5 years for me personally, from gimp to semi-decent climber)

However, if its something you really want to do then get stuck in and the best of luck!