Spiderjack 2.1 and yale blue tonge

Lancstree

Started using this setup yesterday and found the rope good to grip but sometimes it didn't feed into the spiderjack too well. This may be because I'm a novice spiderjack user but I've watched spiderjackery 3 and payed attention. It happened when I was out on a limb and the rope was deflected back to where I came from ( the angle was quite flat mind you). I tried one handed adjustment and it just created slack above the sj.

Also when starting off from the bottom of the tree can be problematic but I suppose this can be overcome by starting off from the top of ladders or getting someone to hold the rope until sufficiently high. I've not tried blaze or any 11mm rope with the sj but would imagine that they are a little stiffer and push through easier. I prefer 11.7mm on the hands though

I love the control of the modified version and the neatness of the setup.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I,ve been using blue tongue with my 2.1 Spiderjack for a clouple of months now and with practice you will have no problems whatsoever......it,s great when you can progress through the crown using just one hand....what a novelty!...keep practising...i gave up my prussick for good now i,ve bonded with my Spiderjack...

Cheers. It really came in handy today as I was tied into one tree to climb another and virtually climbed it one handed where I would of needed to strop in at various points with the hitchclimber. I've actually had it self tend a bit when the rope is deflected. The blue tonge is a lovely rope to work with but I sometimes think functionality has been sacraficed as something a little more rigid would feed in easier. However it's early days and I'm sure I'll be as happy as you lot with it.

Good to hear it Lancstree!..as a habit i re-route my line constantly...always have. i hate seeing a rope coiled up and over branches.."Rope alignment is so important" and so my rope self tends continuously...the tail end of my rope is always directly below me..Blue tongue is so light that coiling it and throwing it in the direction i am moving to is second nature...How is your descending? good use of the wooden brake is essential when pressing the "Accelerator".

Yeah got used to the braking pretty fast after watching the spiderjackery vid. I hope with the way I'm doing it I'm entirely on the wooden block and saving clutch wear. Sometimes on natural anchors descent with the wooden block can be a bit slow because of the friction which would happen with any other system. I want to use cambium saver as much as poss but some trees require changing anchor quite a bit so it's not always practical. I've also found that the sj does not lock on when there is a bit of friction on the rope; e.g when making your way up using natural forks or when you are sropped in and want to put your weight into the sj before taking the strop off.

I only use my S.J with friction or pulley saver...i havent used a Natural anchor in years..if you have to then use the other end of your rope with a prussick....When you achieve your final anchor...treat yourself to a friction saving device.....otherwise it,s like Driving a Ferrari with tyres off a micra!!! you get me?

It doesnt matter when your line i defelected it should still self tend my velocity falls through my spiderjack no matter what rope angle it has

Really? Iv only ever noticed my sj plus lj self tending where there is enough weight in the line directly underneath, iv never had them self tend when the line is fully deflected I understand you can still feed the line in from above but If you just hauled your body up the line I wouldn't have thought it would self tend as there is no weight underneath to pull the line through. maybe velocity is a exception as its so thin.

Had another go today and I seem to be getting better at making it self tend. It's like pushing and pulling at the same time if you get what I mean! You are pulling yourself up but at the same time pushing the line down in a straight line for it to feed through. I'm very pleased with it as it made a nightmare dense lime quite a pleasure to work in