worshop manual for 024av

sds

hi guys

new to this site

would anyone have a workshop manual for a stihl 024av

Its going fine, starts first time but under load (16'' bar) its struggling with loss of power

anyone got any ideas

i am a greenhorn so be warned lol

thanks

I get the feeling that the workshop manual will give you more questions than answers!

Lack of power could be a number of things, compression is one and it can also give hot starting issues as compression drops on a hot engine causing issues.

Other easy things to check - clean the air filter and make sure the fuel filter is clean. Check the spark plug and make sure it is a nice coffee colour on the electrode.

Other than that, common loss of power can be caused by dirt in the carb internal gauze filter or the setting of the H & L screw being out.

Typically a 024 on a 14" bar on Stihl full chisel should pull well and cut through 10" timber with ease. Fitting an 18" bar on will kill the saws performance.

Has the saw lost power over time or just recently?

air cleaner is dirty

carb settings are wrong

carb may need cleaning out strip it leave it in meths for 2-3 days

fuel filter may need changing

if it dies in the cut its not getting enough feul

start with these

does it smoke alot when its in the cut

hope this helps a bit

Edited by burrell_

air cleaner is dirty

carb settings are wrong

carb may need cleaning out strip it leave it in meths for 2-3 days

fuel filter may need changing

if it dies in the cut its not getting enough feul

does it smoke alot when its in the cut

hope this helps a bit

Chinese P&C :lol:

Thanks guys,

i was given the saw last year and from memory it has slowly lost power over a few months. I only use Stihl oil and mix at 40/1.

I have cleaned out the air filter and its hasn't made any difference to performance.

1. Am i looking at carb? is this something a novice can tackle? is it worth while to leave in meths for a few days?

2. Is it worth while to go for a 14'' bar or is there enough power for 16'' bar?

3. Should i try to play with carb setting before i try anything else?

Thanks guys

Has anyone got a copy of manual for reference?

024 will run a 16inch bar ok iv got 2 with 16inch bars on the ok they dont set the world alite on speed but they dont lack power or die in the cut

when abouts do u live

if ur not shore what ur doing dont play around with the carb setting

Just soaking a carb is no use, best to strip it down, clean it with carb cleaner or and ultrasonic cleaner and reassemble.

Adjusting the carb is a bit of a job if you don't know what you are doing, the 024 can be tricky to do and the H screw setting can cause damage to the saw. Standard settings are 1 turn out on both the H&L screw.

If the H screw is too far out, the motor will smoke heavily and won't rev, it the H screw is too far in the motor will either over rev or die at high revs.

If the L screw is too far in the saw will die when reved, too far out and it will be sluggish to pick up and not idle well if left too long - it will smoke a tad when revved from idle after standing.