advice on a poplar pollard

Dr.Green

I'm posting this with some caution, since this is not my field, but I can see a line through which I've posted below.

It's a line based where possible on savage drop-crotch reduction. There are six cut positions shown. Working from the right, the first one appears to give a reasonable horizontal branch to cut to, the 2nd and 3rd are reasonable, the 4th looks a little thin, but there looks to be something coming off backwards and another to the right just below it. The 5th isn't great, but it's the best there is in that region. The 6th is good, but I can't see structure of the overlaid branches above to comment on where they would need cutting to bring it in balance.

Just an (uneducated!) suggestion.

Alec

IMG_0283.jpg.02a70fa7e5aa43305e4315339e8b3bd2.jpg

Just got in busy day. That diagram is exactly what I was thinking. Honestly that's the diagram I had in my head

Excellent. Well, that's what I would have done to it if it was a badly overgrown apple....:001_smile:

Alec

It's awesome to be in the interest of the customer, but as you said...

'its a bit of a mini beast, having had 3 very large lower limbs come of 4-6ft from base in the past. These are clearly decaying back into the base with visual 'white rot' seen thru bark at 8ft.'

I think Rupe has the right idea, prioritise safety first and manage the regrowth from the pollard to establish a nice manageable tree, won't take long time wise to look good. It's a poplar so won't repair its wood well, it's had significant branch tear outs and and could be a worry for the future. I know if this was in my yard i'd pollard or remove. Only my opinion though dude, sorry if this wasn't the answer you were looking for!