Apparently never seen on Horse Chestnut in my area.

Stuartsharp

We took down the horse chestnut pictured bellow due to ill health, which i removed these brackets from. I passed them on to a friend of mine, a local woodland warden as she runs adult education courses and has requested any fungi i come across. Apparently according to another contact of hers (tenuous link, apologies!) this fungi which i believe to be Hoof fungus (Fomes formentarius), had not been reported on horse chestnut in the local area (Tonbridge Kent). However stupidly i don't remember/ didn't write down the identification i was given. Please feel free to disagree with my identification as im no expert and was hoping that sombody else may be able to id the brackets from my photos. The brackets were at least 18" across, and 6-8" deep, i have not seen brackets this big before. In the feling picture one bracket can be seen on the right of the trunk, and the other pictures should give some idea of the size.

IMG_0825.jpg.66cb8867b7461b0ee5fa409bcaac2687.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg.01f7fbf94b82d0deb5cec1630c003f41.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg.f3642d2e22e0c76cf4581e3f73c7552f.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg.e1308462ca33130d2201a5c206466c53.jpg

Please don't take this the wrong way, as i don't doubt your id, but the pictures on your thread of Fomes formentarius look very different to my brackets, is this because your examples grew on Oak, do you get variations due to host species, or is it just age/ volume of host material? I have come across this problem before, as when using a book for id, often there is a variation, which puts doubt in your mind. Fortunatly as i said i am no expert and only just begining to learn about fungi really, so my identifications are for my own interest. Thanks

Please don't take this the wrong way,

I'm absolutely outraged !

how dare a new member have the audacity to question my powers of observational I'd......................................

Just kidding Stuart, your questioning is entirely what the forum is here for. :001_smile:

Fomes is suposedly relatively rare here in the south, but I keep finding it on species outside the recognised few, Beech, Sycamore, & Birch t'up north.

Here's a couple of shots of the brackets on the same Oak as in my earlier thread.

Not particularly good shots, but are typically more like your own I suggest.

http://www.aie.org.uk/fungi_base/fomes/aie_fungi_a1.html

Here's a link to aid further Id.

597653b1712dc_IMG_08261.jpg.62d2001bdb9d03dc0c6d87941fef7178.jpg

P2240004.jpg.8ce99f1b2e0e90cb5aceb22ad35e9ffa.jpg

PC020023.jpg.2caf82f97f790405e64b347655319dd8.jpg