How can I open excel files for free

gensetsteve

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK just checked with one of my colleagues do you want command line cad or point and click? Also 2D or 3D? Also do you want CAD or do you just want to amend existing plans (you don't actually need CAD for this)?

Hi again John...

It turns out that I have no idea what I want from a CAD programme! I really just need to be able to open plans, and add extra layers to those plans!

You sound like a man who knows, so what would you suggest?

As far as being your favourite Aus city, on a day like today I couldnt agree more! The suns shining as I sit writing this on my balcony at the top of Kangaroo Point cliffs overlooking the river and city!

Re the CAD we are looking at a few at the moment, most of the free ones are aimed at tech drawing rather than landscape. SO will get back to you.

The app we have is Cloud1 Survey and is free for android phones and runs on 2.1 and upwards.

You can now (as of today) export data as a csv file so it will import to excel or open office calc, and CAD.

The app at the moment allows you to import a CAD plan as a png file, create a layer that you can export as a data layer to a CAD program. But we are working with a CAD programmer to get a CAD import/export system that includes the plan. Not necessary but easier if you are not computer savy.

Must go back to Brisbane and get weed on by a Koala again.

Adobe illustrator will do what you want mate, you can open .dwg files, lock that layer and add layers over the top. You can edit the .dwg but not save it in that format. One is raster and the other vector so it's not ideal but can be done.

Illustrator is half the price of AutoCad, I have AutoCad for Mac but it's full of bugs at the moment and keeps crashing!

Check out DWG Trueview for viewing and printing, and Autodesk Design Review for annotating AutoCAD files. Ther're both free and guaranteed to render native dwgs properly.

Hi again John...

It turns out that I have no idea what I want from a CAD programme! I really just need to be able to open plans, and add extra layers to those plans!

You sound like a man who knows, so what would you suggest?

As far as being your favourite Aus city, on a day like today I couldnt agree more! The suns shining as I sit writing this on my balcony at the top of Kangaroo Point cliffs overlooking the river and city!