Beech, Armillaria?

tree_beard

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think it was THAT fierce a reduction but the growth is around ten, certainly no more

IME for beech a too fierce reduction to avoid sun scald because of overexposure of the trunk.

Edited by Fungus

I thought there might be more to it

Tony,

I forgot to mention the problem of planting trees with damaged roots after having been uprooted from the nursery, of which the secretion of growth hormones is detected by alive and still to infected roots attached Armillaria rhizomorphs over a distance of about half a metre to one metre.

according to the owner the tree has'nt been touched
...in the 10 years s/he has been there--as Gerrit notes, that tree was whacked hard; looks like 10-15 years ago. Sun damage, root dieback after topping, concrete pavement (when did that go in?) and culturing moisture-loving plants at the base, filling on the flare, are all factors. If the owner really wants to keep the tree, clearing around the base and exposing the root collar would seem to come first, as a path to fungal ID as well as basic care.

bonfire damage:thumbdown:
How about both?

"Could you cite scientific articles on the effectiveness of your methods of drying out and otherwise treating Armillaria infections on white oaks from the US and Canada ?"

Several publications describe treatments in both orchards and landscapes. Not MY methods; practiced by many. Are they in journals, no, but they reflect real events in the field, as do the anecdotal observations of arborists of compartmentalization after exposure.

"And are you familiar with Kelley, Fierke & Stephen (2009) Identification and distribution of Armillaria species associated with an oak decline events in the Arkansas Ozarks (For. Path. 39, 397-404) and Brazee & Wick (2009) Armillaria species distribution on symptomatic hosts in nortern hardwood and mixed oak forests in western Massachusetts (Forest Ecology and Management 258, 1605-1612) ?"

Yes I looked at these and saw no causality, and nothing that directly informs treatment in the landscape. Managing forests as you describe is a different scope, different objectives, so naturally different methods apply.

tree was whacked hard ... root dieback after topping. If the owner really wants to keep the tree, clearing around the base and exposing the root collar would seem to come first, as a path to fungal ID

What if on top of the unidentified desicated Armillaria, the presence of M. giganteus, K. deusta and/or P. squarrosa is assessed on the died roots or in/on the buttresses or trunk base ?

Has drying out or otherwise treating Arm. infections ever been formally studied over there?
Could you cite scientific articles on the effectiveness of your methods of drying out and otherwise treating Armillaria infections on white oaks from the US and Canada ?

1. "Several publications describe treatments in both orchards and landscapes. Not MY methods; practiced by many. Are they in journals, no, but they reflect real events in the field, as do the anecdotal observations of arborists of compartmentalization after exposure."

Now you apply double standards for the scientific quality and standard of your work in the US and my work and that of many others in Europe.

By the way, orchards are ecological deserts with solitary fruit trees that have no tree species specific ecosystems or soil food webs at all and only associate with super generalistic endomycorrhizal symbionts. Did you ever see a woodland or forest dominated by or completely consisting of Malus or Pyrus ?

2. "Managing forests as you describe is a different scope"

That depends on how you look at a tree. If you consider it to be an isolated solitary organism not in need of a tree species specific ecosystem and soil food web to survive and thrive in an urban or rural environment, then you're right.