Saw advice please

The top front end of your bar is known as the kick back zone. the problem is that the saw wants to transfer the point of contactwith the wood from the top edge to the bottom edge. so the best thing to do is use the bottom front edge instead when possible. this problem is intensified when you have a thicker chain like a 3/8.

when working with the tip of the saw bar i hold the handles of the saw tight in to my waist and move the tip by moving my hips. this gives you a lot more control.

when hollowing out i use the bottom front end of the bar working it side to side and rolling the saw from side to side a bit as the hollow gets deeper. If you are making a round hollow use this method whilst moving around your carving untill you have gone 360 round it. if needs be work round it again and again. This method prevents you having to use the top front end of the bar.

if you are making a hollow into the side of a carving tip the wood on its side so that you are working from above. having to keepmoving you r log from side to side maybe a pain in the but and not look as stylish when people are watching you but then again you wont look cool if the saw kick up and takes a chunk out your masterpiece or worse still your face.

safe carving

and remember you are only as sharp as your chain blade:001_smile:

I have the Stihl 192 and it's great - all the more puzzling why Stihl have stopped producing them :confused1:

Are you certain that Stihl no longer produces the MS 192? It may just be Stihl UK that no longer markets the saw, whereas Stihl Germany (and other countries) do, see MS 192 C-E - Äußerst leichte und komfortable 3,3kg-Benzinmotorsäge mit ErgoStart

Some excelent points there, thanks to all that have replied. Hopefully it will also be useful to other new carvers.

some repleis...

Im not putting oregan bars as 'no kick' and husky as 'lotta kick', i only have experience of these two bars and so far all the oregans i have used have been very low kick. This could very well be due to the chain, the oregan chains i have (and have previously used) are lovely thin chains but i am in work so i cant check exact size. teh husky allegedly has this chain (from the website advertising it.. world of power) : CHAIN PITCH 0.325 SN

The bar/chain combo i have on my husky is lovely for cross cutting and most of the carving work so i'm not complaining about it :) It only kicks when the top of the bar-end comes into contact with the wood and to be honest that isnt a common thing for most of my work except for penetrating cuts. I find i use penetrating cuts (is what i call it, dunno what you call it... when you push the saw into the wood, right through) occasionally and with teh husky this is a scary experience. Something i have to avoid. with the old oregan bar/chain it was simpels, no fuss at all.

Thanks to you splinters :) Good advice on the hollowing out technique. I am self taught and so i learn by experimentation (as a scientist its my usual approach) and advice is a rare but valued commodity. I will try to focus on only using the bottom curve of the bar-end

As for the solution... well, Rob you have teh nub of it. I need a carving saw :) Now i just have to convince the wife i should spend MORE money on this hobby! I guess a saw is going to hold some of its value (he says, trying to form arguments against she-who-must-be-obeyed) and so i could always re-sell one if i gave up.

A carvign bar for the electric would work fine but i can only use that at home. If i am away from home carvign i cant reply on electricity. its gonna have to be petrol. Stihl by preference but their distant-selling policy is a complete pain as there are no stihl dealers close to me :(

oh..i wouldn't usualy advertise things but if you do find yourselves wanting a cheep electric saw, this is what i use

B&Q - Performance Power 2200W Chain Saw Pcs2200 customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

i dont know if they still sell them but i have had it for a couple of years, have had hundreds of hours of use out of it (carving, felling and logging) and so far (touch wood) no problems. Drinks the oil a bit but otherwise its great

Thanks for the dealer-name Splinters. And its just doon the way from me as i bide in portlethen :)

I may however have sourced a splendid second hand saw with the bars that i want form a top bloke who might even give me some carvign tips :) He may regret the offer when my questioning-sessions become regular but i do make some splendid homebrewed beer and am always happy to share :)