Becoming a Tree Surveyor

Lake

Hey all.

I intend on becoming a tree surveyor, and maybe to a lesser extent, a Tree Officer.

So, let me give you all a little background, as I'm curious as to your opinions on the matter.

I studied at Moulton, on the BTEC Nat' Dip' in 2008, and let me say, that my relationship with arboriculture has been patchy. Not for a lack of enthusiasm, I love what I've learnt, I've enjoyed the places I've worked and undertaking assessments of trees, really looking at some interesting **** that I can explain and conceive. Understanding.

My physical exposure to the work comes in drips and drabs, but there's experience there enough.

What I want to know (or rather, have reinforced) is that off the back of my work experience CS 30-39, Basic Tree Inspection course, and a few LANTRA certificates, is, is this a wise move?

I ask, possibly because I'm wrestling with my own self-doubt (I have a tendency to get distracted and let myself ruin any direction), but more mainly due to the fact that I'm concerned I can't go into tree surveying without being exposed to some of the harsher physical tests of tree surgery.

Oh yeah, these questions have surmised ahead of me undertaking the Foundation Degree, full time at Pershore this year.

I'm thinking, 3 days a week in college, rest of the week getting work experience with a firm/local authority.

But, yeah, I'd really like some feedback, maybe even a bit of advice?

Hi Lake,

Don't doubt yourself - you can do anything if you put your mind to it.

In my experience people that have spent time in trees pick up the fundamentals of tree surveying more quickly as they have a natural affinity for the trees structure.

However, there is no reason that good surveying skills can't be learnt with only a little practical experience. The key is looking at lots and lots of trees and having a go at interpreting what you see. Most often you'll see nothing to concern you (if you're approaching the survey from a risk management point of view) and that's ok. Most trees aren't about the fail!

The PTI assessment may be good for you soon but be aware it doesn't contain alot of 'training' - it's supposed to be a recap of the fundamentals and then an assessment of your competence.

If you can get some work experience with a consultant that would be ideal experience but I know it's hard when you need to be earning.

Best of luck - you can do it.

Edited by Paul Barton
typo

Thanks, Paul, that's a very kind post. To be honest, I think I'll be all over it like a rash! My knowledge of structure, growth mechanics, biology etc, etc is pretty great. I think the really stultifying thing is trying to assess how much you already know - because I'm not sure of how much I know until it's relevant, and part of the beauty is the broad spectrum for learning!

I'm gonna have at it, cheers again!

Unfortunately the main way to assess how much you know is to compare your thoughts and ideas with others in a similar role.

If your knowledge is already pretty good, go and get the PTI and apply for some surveying jobs. Your employer should soon give you some feedback!