Am I to Old?

kinojango

Im after some advice whether you think im to old or not to start a career as an Arborist?

Im 36, 37 this year and I completed my CS30/31 back in 2008.

I worked on the trees for around 2 years but due to the wages not being that great (£70 Daily) I couldn't survive and had to do something else.

I really miss the work and I really want to get back in to it, Im looking in to doing some other course to help me on my way, like CS32, CS40 and a couple of day courses, Basic Tree Survey, Report Writing and Tree Inspection and maybe some kind of distance learning course.

Im in a position where I could buy a pick-up, chainsaw and a few basic tools etc .

Im thinking I could do a couple of days a week as a subby to get some experience plus do a little on my own.

I also have a small yard with a garage where I could also do a bit of firewood.

Please advise and give me your opinion as I feel im caught between a rock and hard place.

Hi there!

cheap insurances, licences easy, dealing with people a doddle. At 37 you are young!!!!

I did all my Cs's in my 50's.... Started trading this year, still looking for a problem to overcome. get yourself a younger climber to work with and learn, use the strong points you have AGE!

Steve

The Tree Team

07813 041752

You're only as old as the woman you feel or something or other.... Anyone can do anything if they put their mind to it. It's highly likely you'll struggle to fill a week initially but get a few things on the go and go for it.... why the hell not? The whole global economy is in a bit of a pickle but in reality there's never been a better time to start a business. While there are contractions in some areas, there is still a general underlying feeling that the only way is up and those with some pioneering spirit will be the ones to get the world moving again, not to mention do well out of it.

Think positive, throw yourself into it and don't let anyone tell you you can't or shouldn't do it. You just might need to be a bit leftfield in your business model to make it work, but don't let that put you off. Good luck!

55 still climbing finding a little harder now but still enjoy it, as the other threads say tree work can be hit or miss these days so if you can turn your hand to other jobs like fencing, grass cutting etc it would be handy.

I now have all my persciptions delivered up the tree! what about you?

Steve

I started at age 48! with a cronic fatigue illness, i work at my speed love the work.

After owning and running a heavy haulage business (cat 1/2 and 3) this career change has been brilliant!

As others, who have been around the bush a few times will know, this business as every business as its ups and downs.....

You are what you want to be, yes a certain amount of good luck is required and the right place at the right time, that is same for most things in life.

When you look at what this work and enviroment offers, it takes some beating.

Its a pity, that for the most, you can only appreciate when time has gone by.

The ones that see this young, you are the lucky ones!

Happy climbing!

Steve

If you find yourself outfaced just holler, my mog & chipper are not far away, the climber who brings my anti-ache tablets up the tree for me is used to working with wrinklys.... though he is 5 years your senior.

don't be put off by the enormity of it all, have faith in yourself. Know your limitations which will increase in time and get some decent help.... Then everyday can be a training day!

Let everbody know how well its going.

Steve