Glow in the dark Fungi

scottythepinetree

Think carefully about going into roofing, the grass is NOT always greener. A friend left roofing to start tree work and climbing at the same age as you, because the money was better! Turns out its about the same, and his days aren't any longer or shorter, depending on which company he is working for.

Think about it, you love trees, and tree work! Do you really want to be stuck on a roof all day, or up a tree? They are both hard work. Maybe look at a different company, or assistant consultant, or start up yourself. I think its a career change you'd regret.

Of course you can feel free to ignore me, its your life, but it would be a great shame for the arb world to lose someone with your passion and experience/knowledge.

thanks sloth, would love an assitant consultants job but I wont get one of those jobs im up against degrees, snowballs chancein hell, been trying!:biggrin:

roofing is not my ideal choice but I currently climb 5-6 hours a day EVERYday and its taking its toll. Its causing me to lose the pleasure in the work. I would rather stack shelves than continue as I am, would be able to do freelance work on weekends without the pressure it will be fun again, and my joints wont be flat out 24-7

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know where you're coming from. Last week I bumped into a school friend in tesco. Aged 17 I laughed at him, now he has a managerial position, 30,000 +, 5 days a week, 9-5. Who's laughing now :thumbdown: I'm sure I've had more fun and kept fitter though, bar the worn joints bad back etc. But hey, could do your back in stacking shelves or slip on a spillage! Sure you'll do what's right for you :thumbup:

Did any of you see Ed Stafford walk the ENTIRE LENGTH of the Amazon ??

This was one of the most epic voyages i have ever seen or read about and i have read ALOT of adventure / exploration stuff . It was so dangerous at times the local guides refused to go any further . The guy is a legend or at least he should be . Not a place for the faint hearted .. perfect for plucky arb types :001_smile:

Did any of you see Ed Stafford walk the ENTIRE LENGTH of the Amazon ??

This was one of the most epic voyages i have ever seen or read about and i have read ALOT of adventure / exploration stuff . It was so dangerous at times the local guides refused to go any further . The guy is a legend or at least he should be . Not a place for the faint hearted .. perfect for plucky arb types :001_smile:

I so envied him that journey, awesome:001_cool:

Went to Peru in 03. Was amazing, spent a week in the jungle on a tributarie of the Amazon. A place called Peurto Maldonada. It was a real eye-opener, the town where we started off was a logging town. 2 shops in the town (both selling chainsaws/ huge Stihl bars hanging outside) and 2 restaurants, an openly working brothel, and a couple of guest houses/bars. Real frontier feel to the place. The locals despised us until they realised we weren't American. Can't say I blame them, as the only "gringos" they usually meet are doing their best to exploit them.

Don't think I'd want to spend longer than a week in the jungle though. It's the most intensely uncomfortable place I've ever been. Like being in a sauna 24/7. Lost about a stone in that week. The ground is literally alive with crawling stinging/biting things and the noises at night were pretty unsettling. Great experience though, and I'd love to go back again with someone who knew a bit more about the trees there than our "guide", who I'm fairly certain was a sneaky drinker, whose command of the English language all but vanished after a few bevvies. Got attacked by hornets, and a little lost under his guidance, but was still a cool trip for all that. Spent 6 weeks in Peru all together. Cost €700 for tickets 6 months before, then saved about 2 grand and would have come home with loads of it left, except we rented a RV and went on Surfari along the coast for the last 2 weeks.

Wouldn't dismiss the sauna so quickly, during the day it's actually not an exaggeration. Not much better at night. No doubt you will have a ball though. The whole place is alive, and does you good to know, at least once in your life that if you pick a direction and walk for half an hour without paying attention, you may never be found again. Puts our cosy life here in perspective.