The diary of an obsessive compulsive arborist

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice images Tony, liking the shade/goat shot.

Whats the fung in pic 16, Laeti ?

Were there many ash pollards in the area, like 17 (still being cut?)

Thanks David,

The ash pollard at the gate is with Polyporus squamosus- further demonstrating (due to numbers) that further north and certainly in wetter regions Poly is the predominant polypore over I. hispidus, and vice versa down south.

There was a lot of pollarding going on in Langdale, some locals, others the new drive by NT to get out and restore those on the hills. The team hike 6 miles some days to get to a pollard out in the hills!:thumbup1:

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

What this visit has highlighted for me (suspected it anyway) is that hydration is the key in maintaining function and resisting decays in the presence of massive wounding.

Dr David Lonsdale made a superb presentation that went into the details of what exactly happens when we pollard and its the first time ive seen anyone really spell it out this way.

He described the importance of the connection between Root and shoot and the maintenance of vascular channels, using the cage pollard as A1 prime example.

I think Im going to talk to David about the presentation a bit more, I discussed the potential of the information to him but I am really keen to put something together and get this presentation out to arbs. Its how you and I think and feel our way through the proscess of a tree reduction pollard restoration but put into a format that is so easy to digest.

This is a first for me so waited to post till i read the Ryvarden on the Laetiporus.

It says on conifers too, but as far as i know that was is limited thus far to Taxus, and would be very glad to hear from anyone who has similar conifer finds of laeti as this one on larix decidua the european larch.

This ones pores appear larger than usual and suspect it is a sub species, there are 16 sub species of Laetiporus according to a paper using PCR amplification:001_cool:

597660f98e606_Larixlaetietc023.jpg.e37d2fb2a6327aca9009c2c50b63ca47.jpg

597660f9926fc_Larixlaetietc021.jpg.cf35210f6be8590d9e1b15a8d7d35cf2.jpg

597660f99591f_Larixlaetietc027.jpg.4a949b4af804bf9498b238f16d9795c9.jpg

This is a first for me so waited to post till i read the Ryvarden on the Laetiporus.

It says on conifers too, but as far as i know that was is limited thus far to Taxus, and would be very glad to hear from anyone who has similar conifer finds of laeti as this one on larix decidua the european larch.

]

Would appear to be a very rare occurance here in the UK

I went back through the 2500 frdbi records & it took going back to 1999 (about half way through the 26 pages before a specific gymnosperm came up)

Have you spoken to Martin about it ?

Laetiporus sulphureus, on/with Picea abies, wood, plantation mixed (A132), Alt(m): 160, 16/06/1999, England, East Gloucestershire (VC: 33), Barnsley Wold, SP0606, coll.: M. Hunt, id: M. Hunt, conf.: J. Roberts, FRDBI Record No.: 508199, Origin of Record: Cotswold Fungus Group (Dave Shorten) (full record data).

Would appear to be a very rare occurance here in the UK

I went back through the 2500 frdbi records & it took going back to 1999 (about half way through the 26 pages before a specific gymnosperm came up)

Have you spoken to Martin about it ?

Laetiporus sulphureus, on/with Picea abies, wood, plantation mixed (A132), Alt(m): 160, 16/06/1999, England, East Gloucestershire (VC: 33), Barnsley Wold, SP0606, coll.: M. Hunt, id: M. Hunt, conf.: J. Roberts, FRDBI Record No.: 508199, Origin of Record: Cotswold Fungus Group (Dave Shorten) (full record data).

no, but I should, have you got his mail? seem to have neglected to add to contacts. The pores are distinctly larger than usual, its a diferent thing to my eye thats for certain, kept a voucher anyhow.:thumbup1: i knew it was off the normal radar.

and thanks for going to that effort!

no, but I should, have you got his mail? seem to have neglected to add to contacts. The pores are distinctly larger than usual, its a diferent thing to my eye thats for certain, kept a voucher anyhow.:thumbup1: i knew it was off the normal radar.

and thanks for going to that effort!

No worriers, haven't had a chance to be soooo geeky for ages :biggrin:

[email protected]