Opinions please?

T & C Tree Services

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit surprised by the negative reference to Picus. What are the negatives? Is it not one of the best and least invasive decay detection options?

im not bashing it, but surely anything invasive is bad? The tree will probably overcome it anyway, but it leaves a wound, which can be colonized by pathogens.

Im all for saving trees like this especially in town centres, and i think the whole path around it should be lifted and mulched then fenced off, will give the tree a much better chance.

But god forbid it makes people walk a bit further around the tree :001_rolleyes:

im not bashing it, but surely anything invasive is bad? The tree will probably overcome it anyway, but it leaves a wound, which can be colonized by pathogens.

Im all for saving trees like this especially in town centres, and i think the whole path around it should be lifted and mulched then fenced off, will give the tree a much better chance.

But god forbid it makes people walk a bit further around the tree :001_rolleyes:

I don't have any practical experience of the Picus, from what I understand plugs of bark have to be removed to position the sensors directly next to the wood.?

Do you think this is more or less invasive than the Resistograph or similar?

Would be interested to hear opinions on that.

I don't have any practical experience of the Picus, from what I understand plugs of bark have to be removed to position the sensors directly next to the wood.?

it is definately less invasive, as the resistograph has to drill right into the wood to get a reading, which can be a good site for fungal growth.

it involves nails being hammered into the cambium so that the sound waves can penetrate and be read properly from each sensor, if a tree i sgetting picused then i would assume that there is already an issue and the matter of some nails knocked in slightly wouldnt cause much more of an issue.

Schwarze did a fair bit of research, will try to locate the papers.

I've never heard of plugs of bark being removed. They usually hammer nails in and use those as the sensors. A few very small holes within the bark is in my eyes a small sacrifice to pay if it means finding out the exact state of decay. Remember this isn't an open parkland where I can leave the tree to break apart gracefully and sit there as a decaying monolith till the end of days. It's in an extremely pedestrianised urban environment where everyones out to sew everyone. By knowing the extent will let me decide on what remedial works to undertake.

I get it TC, but if its so hollow as to be approaching t/r ratio limits it will sound like a drum, unless of course one of the ganos is at work, then the wood may be only slightly modified but still sounding solid.

Take an increment core from between the butresses not the active channels

It's interesting stuff. I will keep you guys informed come this Tuesday as to John Harraways findings. I just hope the years of coke cans and kebab wrappers people have thrown into the hollow dont effect the results!! :001_huh: