Filing tool for stihl...

Johno1

I have a stihl ms391. What filing tool do I need for this chainsaw? I saw on eBay there is one that can be clamped onto the blade or there is a hand held file. Also, the number 25 is stamped on the cutters, what does this stand for? I use my chainsaw for firewood and farm use.

Thanks for replys.

I have a stihl ms391. What filing tool do I need for this chainsaw? I saw on eBay there is one that can be clamped onto the blade or there is a hand held file. Also, the number 25 is stamped on the cutters, what does this stand for? I use my chainsaw for firewood and farm use.

Thanks for replys.

There should be a name on the chain as well, eg Oregon or Stihl, which will help you identify the file you need. As for the file guide, people like both sorts. I use the type that goes on the file, my mate uses the one that sits on the bar. They both work well with practice. :001_smile:

I would go for the hand held file that is clamped in to a filing plate . The size of file and its corresponding plate will depend on the pitch of chain . on that saw probably .325 or .375 (3/8) The filing plate will have all the angles marked on it so its pretty simple once you have done a few . You will need a flat file to take the depth guages down after , say every 3 sharpenings . If you don't do this the chain will eventually rub and not cut as the depth gauges will be too high and not allow the cutter into the wood. I could be wrong here but I think the 25 refers to the height of the depth gauges in relation to the highest point of a cutter ie .025" lower than the cutter to allow it to bite into the wood . This depth gauge figure , I think , is only stamped on Stihl chains but I could be wrong . ( so long ago ! )

OK Felix . To be honest its so long ago I can't remember . I just give the rakers a couple of strokes after 2 or 3 sharpen ups .

No worries mate, Stihl do have numbers on the links too but I think they are ID things too. I think there were a couple of pages in the CS30 book which listed them but not sure. I just use the little tool thingy for my rakers. :001_smile:

On a 391 ? woud not have thought so . I am a husky man myself but I would have thought a 391 would be a 325 pitch 3/16 or more likely .375 pitch 7/32 file ? ? ?

Fair comment. We need to know the make of chain to check. Oregon box that I have here shows 25 as being micro chisel and 5/32 file with .025 raker depth. :001_smile: