Im confused regarding conservation areas

sasha.p

I contacted the local authority as I wanted to know what areas surrounding me are a conservation area so I can follow procedures as you do anyway they came back and told me they cant tell me and I will have to notify them of every tree I intend on working on regardless of wether its in a conservation area (which I wont know anyway because they have not given me info on where the conservation areas cover),is this normal?surely they could of said what areas are covered locally so I have some idea?

I have the tree officer contacting me regarding something totally different so I am going to speak to her ,but the lady on switchboard spoke to the planning and thats what I got from them not very helpfull really .

Which local authority are you in?

Most LAs have maps or lists of Conservation areas on their websites. I know that they have to make TPOs available for public viewing so I would expect a similar right to access for CA's too.

Indeed, many LPAs now show these 'on-line' as Conservation Areas have much wider implications than just trees, i.e. buidlings and structures.

To some degree sounds like you've been subjecetd to an over-zealous planning 'admin-er'...perhaps a previous Doctors receptionist...ooops!

Speak with your TO...nicely, n I'm sure you get it sorted.

Good luck..

Paul

Thanks both I was getting myself all wound up just now over it and thinking about freedom of info act and stuff, its Newport gwent call center I spoke to I went to the old offices this morning as wanted to speak to a tree officer in person but they had moved their offices to a new site which I later found out I had drove straight past on the way home.

They have renamed it the newport information center so I was looking for the usual Newport city council logo and did not spot it so I ended up ringing them instead.

I think when the tree officers rings me back I will have a word with her and in the meanwhile will take a look online to see if there is anything covering this area thanks for the advice :thumbup1:

They have to tell you this stuff. Bloody civil servants. They work for us, not the other way round. There is a recent thread somewhere I started about tree work and the law which has a lot about conservation areas etc. from the wise people on this board.

Our conservation areas are on our local council site. As I understand it, outside of that or any other restriction (scientific interest etc) if there is no TPO and no planning restriction, they have no say in the matter.

If you're working at specific properties you can just call the planning department of your LA and ask if there are any TPO's there or whether it's in a conservation area. Be vague and don't mention any intended or specific work, just tell them it's a general enquiry so you/your client is aware for the future.

If there is nothing, then cool but if there is a level of protection be sure to apply properly and keep your relationship with the LA sweet.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice everyone :001_smile:the tree officer just rang me back after I left a message for them the other day they were very helpfull unlike the call center and whoever the planner was they spoke to when I originally started this thread.I have a customer with a eucalyptus tree that has frost damage that is in a conservation area so wanted to know what exactly they required me to do to notify them she was really helpfull and is sending all the info ,maps etc out covering their rules and regs regarding conservation areas and tpo's she said anything over 4 inch in a conservation requires consent 6 weeks notice but they are sending it all through for me to read through so I feel much more happier now I spoke to them and know I have the correct info lol.And I will take your advice about being vauge and enquiring but I certainly will be doing things by the book and doing them properly now I will know how to lol