What next??

pos1981

Thanks guys,

Ive just had a quick ten mins on the knot guide and i think ill do just that geoff!!! I a bit of knot experince as im a caver but climbing techniques and some of the knots are a little different.

Thanks for the advice arborholic im not sure whether i can book my 38 until ive passed the 30 and 31 shame really as the waitng takes so long.

born2trot im now 30 i just wish i had gone to college and don't a relevant course and done this sooner! Heinsight eh:confused1:

Ed

He needs to be able to handle a saw and know how to look after one, the only way to do that is to have one on hand to get used to, telling him a saw wont come in handy IMO is not true.:)

Fair play, but you need to have something to do with it, no point owning one that sits in the shed once you've got a job. Big waste of money that imo, could be better spent.

If, on the other hand, if you have got weekend work that pays, would be worth it. Depends on your personal situation.

Pos1981, are you planning on going it alone or being on the books somewhere?

Thanks guys,

Ive just had a quick ten mins on the knot guide and i think ill do just that geoff!!! I a bit of knot experince as im a caver but climbing techniques and some of the knots are a little different.

Thanks for the advice arborholic im not sure whether i can book my 38 until ive passed the 30 and 31 shame really as the waitng takes so long.

born2trot im now 30 i just wish i had gone to college and don't a relevant course and done this sooner! Heinsight eh:confused1:

Ed

You need 31 to do a 38 assessment, though you may be able to train without it

Thanks guys,

Ed

I thought as much because of your avatar but wanted to check just in case . I think you are at the perfect age to transition into a different sector . You are at an age where you have gathered up life experiences and common sense . Would you have been as serious about arb when you were 18 ? I know i wouldnt have and probably many others on here also . Are you going to bring out a college certificate when asked to dismantle a 100 ft poplar ? Hope you see where i'm coming from :thumbup:

Ive bought my ppe for obvious reasonand i need it for the cs30+31.

I also need a saw for the course so rather than borrowing one for the course i thought i would buy one to use get used to and take apart etc.

I realise i need my 30+31 before i can progress to 38 etc but the courses fill up fast and the 38 is only a month or so after the 30, so it would have been nice to provisionally book on the 38 etc under the condition that i pass the lower qualifications. As it is ill have to wait longer to do more.

Thanks for the input born2trot really appreciate it, i understand exactly where your coming from the frustration is im in a dead end job with no promotion prospects and just wish i had been given better advice when i was younger. Granted i might not have taken things as seriously at that age but i wouldn't have had as many slowing me down. For example:

I work shifts full time so getting out is difficult. i have bills to pay etc unlike someone of a young age. Courses are generally cheaper etc.

I just think it is very hard and not just in this industry but all over for someone a bit older to leave a job and re train on a different career path.

I will however stick at it and i will in a few years time be on here talking about how much i am enjoying what i am doing!!:thumbup:

Pos , your story is very typical of many many arborists . Your situation was identical to mine and is identical to the guy i have teamed up with lately. You may not realise at the moment , but i bet you have learned much more than you realise from your dead end job that you can take into the arb industry. All the best :001_smile: