Noob Needs A Chainsaw.

MartinF

Martin, as born2trot said, don't get hung up on thinking you need big cc for the log diameters you're thinking of cutting. My Makita DCS3501-40, with an Oregon 91VXL chain on the 16 inch bar flies through stuff like that with no hassle at all. £280 inc vat.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just looked at your original post and it says you want to cut 12-13 inch logs for firewood . What makes you think a 40cc husky will struggle to do this ? Dont get roped into this ' semi pro ' thing meaning it cant cut big timber . If your a beginner the saw will probably outperform you ( dont take that as an insult ) . :biggrin:

No offense taken. :001_smile:

Things have changed slightly though.

I've just looked at the place I was considering getting the 435 from anf the price has gone up from £269 to £309 so I would be spending more anyway.

He was expecting a batch i today or tomorrow so I wonder if Husky upped the price. I'm not cynical enough to suspect it's gone up because I said I was interested in buying one.

Martin, as born2trot said, don't get hung up on thinking you need big cc for the log diameters you're thinking of cutting. My Makita DCS3501-40, with an Oregon 91VXL chain on the 16 inch bar flies through stuff like that with no hassle at all. £280 inc vat.

I hear you but it would make sense to spend a little more and get something that will handle that bit more maybe or am I just getting the urge for more power? :001_smile:

I hear you but it would make sense to spend a little more and get something that will handle that bit more maybe or am I just getting the urge for more power? :001_smile:

Well, I was ummming and ahhhing when I bought mine. I'd been using a Stihl MS260 for snedding and logging on jobs for quite a while, but was finding it too much weight. So I took a chance on the DCS3501 and was VERY pleasantly surprised. It's great and keeps up easily with the MS260 for anything that doesn't need the 18 inch bar. If I'd had a few extra quid at the time then I would prob have got the DCS4301 (43cc instead of 35) and run an 18 inch bar, but as it is, the DCS3501 has been perfect - so easy to start, fast, and cuts everything. Power is 1.6kW (2.1hp), same as Husqvarna 435.

Well, I was ummming and ahhhing when I bought mine. I'd been using a Stihl MS260 for snedding and logging on jobs for quite a while, but was finding it too much weight. So I took a chance on the DCS3501 and was VERY pleasantly surprised. It's great and keeps up easily with the MS260 for anything that doesn't need the 18 inch bar. If I'd had a few extra quid at the time then I would prob have got the DCS4301 (43cc instead of 35) and run an 18 inch bar, but as it is, the DCS3501 has been perfect - so easy to start, fast, and cuts everything. Power is 1.6kW (2.1hp), same as Husqvarna 435.

Wher I am now I'm just thinking that a bit of extra everything wouldn't be a bad thing.

About a week ago I almost bought a Husky 140 for £300, then found the 435 for £270 (which is now £310) and so I'm thinking that £50 more gets me a very capable saw.

I think to get anything orange with the ability of the DS5oo would take another big cash leap.

It's all very confusing for a noob like me.