Log Splitters - what's important ?

Moto

I'm about to invest in a road legal, towable log splitter to use for firewood. Probably the Wallenstein WX910. However as I have a small plant hire business, I want to get a model that would easily hire out also.

Although a 24" horizontal model would meet our need, for maximum hire potential is it worth getting either a 36" stroke model or one that can work both horizontal & vertical?

Thx for any feedback.

Same as anything you get what you pay for wallenstein is middle of the road stuff if you want it to be bomb proof thor or posch is what i would go for we looked in to getting a wallenstein but did not have the build quality and strength we were after .

Hi yes posch and dalen are very good you get what you pay for Jon

Thanks for the feedback on the brands. Any feedback on 24" / 36" stroke and vertical / horizontal.

I can't come up with any reason why someone would want to split longer than 24" as I tend to think only of firewood. Do people need longer or are such people all pro's who will have their own kit anyway?

Same question for vertical. I know vertical is easier with big stuff but do the vert & horizontal models create compromises compared to horizontal only?

Thx

Have you used any of the other splitters mentioned above as you would be able to compare i am not saying there poorly built they just does not match that of other machines.:001_smile:

No, not me.

I don't doubt there is better, i'm not saying that because i see any short comings in the Wallenstein but because it's not the most expensive machine out there.

If you send me 30m3 of knarly hardwood for free I will gladly send you a video of me splitting it with the Wallenstein so I can convince you how good it is :biggrin:

It depends on which school of thought you are from... we settled on splitting cord and leaving them stacked to season in meter lengths.

We then saw them up to length on a sawbench as required.... if the wood is seasoned split or in rings then the length is already fixed so it was impossible to service the extremes of 'Granny Logs' one minute then 2ft lenghts for log boilers the next.

We have a middle of the road 10/12 tonne splitter and an industrial 22 tonne jobbie. There is a big difference in build quality.

Edited by Marko
typo