Gri Gri 2 Users ?

born2trot

Billabong said exactly what i should have said. We use gri gris as additional bitd of kit,

I've had no issues with the latch on a rig opening, the fact its attached to a krab makes it a lot less likely to be dropped.

Jamie

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the grigri 2 go on long descents on single line? I have been using an ID for descending big trees but looking into a grigri2 to make it a bit (lot) more lightweight and compact. Is the grigri 2 jerky like the original grigri on long descents?

Guest Billabong

The Gri 2 is really smooth but if you're going to use it make sure you've loaded it the right way or you'll be on the ground before you know. Also the handle is very small so it can be a bit fiddly to hold. Ropes 8.9mm - 11mm

does it work ok on the 11.7mm double braids that are common in tree work?

Yes and no, I,d only use it on kernmantle access line of appropriate size, it's cheap enough look at beal antipodes, or I really like the sterling htp snakebite ropes very little give but just enough.

Beal antipodes last time I looked could be found for around £1 a meter so you could get a 60m access line for £60.

Like all things these devices respond differently to different ropes, I have an elderid eddy which on those super static globe/dyneema lines is really jerky, I,m not a fan of thos lines as they have no give what so ever although they do seem to make srt access more efficient.

I have an old gri gri, cinch and eddy all work smooth on my 10mm sterling snakebite with the rads in both ascent and descent.

Drew raised some concerns about the safety gate on the Petzl Rig. I have never had the safety gate open but that certainly does not mean it cannot happen. In order to remedy that the Rig has a hole next to the safety gate that will accept additional hardware to lock the safety gate closed. A quick release pin, such as what is used with the RW only smaller, is one option. Larger bar stock carabiners such as the DMM Boa make the Rig harder to open but it can still be opened.

I would like to mention that Petzl designates the GriGri 2 for use with EN 892 dynamic rope only.

... It's a great bit of kit but I think it shouldn't have the openable side, just have the two sides the same ya know?

But being able to load and unload the line with no chance of dropping the Rig is one of its best features.

Dave

But being able to load and unload the line with no chance of dropping the Rig is one of its best features.

Dave

I agree bro but just wondered how it stands with everything having to be triple action thats all..

I agree bro but just wondered how it stands with everything having to be triple action thats all..

Agree that in say the competition world it doesn't stand up to the triple-action standard but in the real world, and bear in mind i use mine for descent only - not work positioning - it is fine.

Also as said above, it does have a hole for installing a locking pin.